Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polished the bowl

blown428fe
    My brother bought a polishing kit and went to town on my bowl. Almost makes me want to do the pump.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...G_1536-med.JPG

Devilman
    Not looking, not looking....
    Ok, I had to look. Nice! What kind of polishing kit was it? Looks pretty slick with the black....

Taylorman
    Your insain. Heres a recommendation, clear powdercoat it after its polished so you never have to polish it again.

1978 Rogers
    What did you use to polish it? I've thought about getting a Dremel to polish my logs, exhaust tips, etc. It just sucks doing it by hand.

Devilman
    Your insain. Heres a recommendation, clear powdercoat it after its polished so you never have to polish it again.
    I've wondered about that. It would be nice to polish my scoop & my valve covers up real good, the coat 'em so I could quit buying polish.... I found a guy here local that does powdercoating, may have to look into that. Polished pump would be nice, but to much upkeep for me.... :yuk:

robk
    I seem to recall that a while back, a friend of mine wanted to clear powder coat some custom aluminum wheels he put on his truck, and the powder coat guy mentioned something about the powder coat reacting with the aluminum over time and turning it black.
    Anyone ever heard of this?
    I'd like to powder coat all of the unanodized aluminum parts on my boat as well; it would save a lot of time polishing off those Havasu water spots.
    Rob

Devilman
    I seem to recall that a while back, a friend of mine wanted to clear powder coat some custom aluminum wheels he put on his truck, and the powder coat guy mentioned something about the powder coat reacting with the aluminum over time and turning it black.
    Anyone ever heard of this?
    I'd like to powder coat all of the unanodized aluminum parts on my boat as well; it would save a lot of time polishing off those Havasu water spots.
    Rob
    I have been told not to clear powdercoat my aluminum intake because it would "yellow". I was figuring because of the heat?

sifocalpoint
    1978 Rogers, I would highly reccomend against using a dremel for polishing!! It has such a small surafce area it leaves marks and it takes forever. Nooks and Crannys are ok but nothing larger. Harbor Freight often times has nice buffer setups on sale(alot cheaper than Eastwood etc.) and believe it or not they hold up very very well, i have a friend with a harbor freight deal and its going on 3 years of abuse. Under $100.00 also.
    Just my 2 cents from experiance (Tried polishing a set of street bike wheels with a dremel, all i did was make a mess)
    For exhaust tip outlets, spin them in a lathe and wet sand then polish on there if you have access to one
    Good Luck

the problem with the aluminum is the off gasses, when heated up during the processes. This also depends, on the quaility of the aluminum, or as this, a casting. These problems can be over come by prebaking to remove gasses prior to coating, or by the skills and/or methods used by the power coat facility. Looks great though.
    Sleek

blown428fe
    Not looking, not looking....
    Ok, I had to look. Nice! What kind of polishing kit was it? Looks pretty slick with the black....
    Came from Home Depot with buffing wheels and three different compounds. Tried it with a I/R diegrinder, but has way to many RPM,S. used on the end of a hammer drill and it worked mint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast