Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocker arm adjustment

67weimann
    I have a set of cast iron heads with the standard stamped rocker arms. They are making a chatter and was wondering if anyone knew the proper adjustment for these.

GofastRacer
    Solid or hydraulic lifters?????????...

67weimann
    To be honest I am not sure. I believe they are solid since it is an old motor and stock as far as I know. It is a 67 block according to the casting numbers and was told they are "fuelie" heads (whatever that means) . Other than that I have no clue.
    Do i need to tear it down to find out what type of lifters they are?
    I've heard of guys tightening them by "ear" while it is running. I guess that's how the ole backyard mechanic did it way back when. I know this isn't the proper way to do it and it's gonna fling oil everywhere using this method. Therefore, I'm asking what the correct way to do it is.
    I just want to get some lake time out of it before I build a new motor.

centerhill condor
    in "the old days" we simply ran the motor with the valve cover off and tightened gently until they stopped rattling...I suspect this was not the right thing to do but she ran for years trouble free. Hydraulic and no 600 hp at 6000 rpm. certainly not a fuely.

Moneypitt
    Solid or hydraulic lifters?????????...
    Aparently this is a small block? If you over tighten a solid lifter to quiet the rockers down, it probably won't run. The ramp speed for a solid cam is very fast at the begining to take up the "lash", and about the time the rockers stop clacking it'll die from way to much overlap. I think you can find out if they are hydrolic by 1) pull a valve cover, 2) bump motor over until a valve, any valve, is wide open,3) take a break, 4) come back in a couple of hours and see if that same valve is still wide open. If it is, you have solids, if it isn't, you have hydrolics. It might be a good idea to measure the full open height before you take the break..........

GofastRacer
    Well even old motors have hydraulics, you can pull the valve covers and if it's been sitting for a day or so, most all the valves will be closed or close to it if they're hydraulics, another way to tell is to push down on the pushrod end and see if you can colapse the lifter, you cannot do that with solids!... To adjust hydraulics: Intake:= Rotate the motor until the exhaust just barely opens and do the intake for that cylinder, loosen the adjusting nut till you have slop in the pushrod then hold the pushrod with your fingers and tighten slowly untill all the slop is gone, then add a 1/2 turn. Exhaust:= Rotate the motor until the intake is almost closed and adjust the exhaust in the same way!.. For solid lifters the same procedure applies, only you need feeler guages to set the lash for whatever your cam requires!.. BTW, if you have solid lifters you will have a slight clatter from the lash that is normal!..

67weimann
    I'll pull the valve cover and "test" to see what type lifters they are. Thanks for the advice, and it shouldn't be hard to take a break since I take lots of breaks while working on the boat. :crossx:
    BTW, yes it is a small block for now. It's what came with the boat. Haven't decided where to go motor wise yet... :skull:

Moneypitt
    BTW, yes it is a small block for now. It's what came with the boat. Haven't decided where to go motor wise yet... :skull:
    Have you heard about the new APBA class for "Sportsman E" small blocks??..You might be 1/2 way there.........Ray

Cas
    if you have hydraulics, get yourself a set of rocker arm clips
    Rocker Arm Clips (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)
    just pull the valve covers, put the clips on the rockers, start the engine and adjust the valves. All you need to do is back the nut off until the rocker clatters. You then start tightening it down until it stops then turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn...just make sure they are all the same and you're done.
    A word of caution, do not rev the engine with the clips on as they will fly off and oil will go everywhere.

67weimann
    Have you heard about the new APBA class for "Sportsman E" small blocks??..You might be 1/2 way there.........Ray
    no I haven't. All I've ever heard is everyone dogging on the small block. What's the regulations for the "sportsman E"??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast