Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Sanger Help!

Phat Flat
    Need help from you experts out there on setting up my 1980, 17'10" Sanger flat. In it's previous life, it was a poor ugly misstreated ski boat. Now it's with me and I want to restore it's dignity by giving it head turning appeal. Since it was a ski boat, it may need some major modifications to make it a white knuckle, water churning monster that would make any shy boat proud.
    There is a BBC in the garage that needs a home, so I would really appreciate advice on setting up this pair. The BBC has big valve heads, roller cam and rockers, tunnel ram with 2 fours, etc. I expect that it will be capable of 800 HP at 6500 RPM on nitrous.
    Currently the boat has a 12 degree cassale with a 9 degree prop shaft. The v-drive is set at 83" from the transom and the strut barrel is set at 25" from the back edge of the cav plates. There is vary little rocker in the bottom.
    I need to know what it will take and how to proceed to make this an ejoyable boat for short bursts of adrenalin pumping speed. I am willing to change v-drives, prop shafts, props, drivelines, etc.
    List of need to know items:
    *Motor location measured from transom to the closest (front) motor mount.
    *V-drive location measured from the transom to the v-drive mount.
    *V-drive angle (even if I have to replace the existing 12 degree).
    *V-drive gearing.
    *Length of prop shaft.
    *Strut location from the back of the cav plates to the strut barrel.
    *Amount of space between the prop and the strut barrel.
    *Prop specifications.
    *Keel location for the most straight line stability.
    Thank you for helping save a great old boat (It was slated to face the chain saw of the previous owner)

Carnivalride
    Phat Flat,
    I just see a few things I didn't see in your post that people may want to see. Is the Sanger a "true" flat or a runner bottom? You said your engine made about 800hp at 6500rpm, how tight are you willing to spin it?

Phat Flat
    Thank you Carnavalride for your questions. Does runner bottom mean that the boat has full length runners to mount the motor and v-drive too? If it does then the answer is yes. Does "true" flat mean that there is no curvature to the boat bottom? If it does then the answer is no. From side to side, it has a 1" deep u shaped bottom in the rear. From front to back, it has 1/2" in 4' rocker forward of the prop. RPM will be limited to 6500.
    I will need a whirlaway if anybody has an extra laying around.
    Thank you...

fc-pilot
    What Carnivalride was referring to was something that can be seen by looking at the cavitation plates. If you have two plates that are flat all the way across then it is a true flat. If there are three plates that step up and down from each other then it is a runner bottom. That is what will help with getting info.
    Paul
    I will see if I can get some pictures to show what I am talking about.

fc-pilot
    Here is a shot of a true flat. Notice how the plate is flat all the way across.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...illy_B-med.jpg
    Here is a runner bottom. Notice the center plate is lower than the outer two.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...64boat-002.jpg
    Paul

Phat Flat
    Paul,
    Thank you for your time in sending the pictures, I learned something today. It is a "True flat." It is great to have good people step up and help a fellow boat lover!!!
    Art

Carnivalride
    Paul,
    Thank you for your time in sending the pictures, I learned something today. It is a "True flat." It is great to have good people step up and help a fellow boat lover!!!
    Art
    fc pilot,
    Thanks for posting pics I didn't have time to do it from work.
    Phat flat,
    Sorry I don't have any experience with "true" flats so maybe somebody else can give you some ideas.

PE 316
    PhatFlat,
    Does your boat have BRONZE "running gear" (Skegs, Strut, Prop, Rudder, etc...)??
    If so, I would highly recommend changing the Strut & Prop (at least) to STEEL if you are serious about trying to run that boat anywhere near (or over) 100 MPH!!!
    Since your boat seems to be a "true flat" it is going to take a lot of power to get you in the 100 mph range.
    Hopefully you can obtain a "whirl-a-way" before you have any engine problems as well.
    Good Luck and BE SAFE!!

Phat Flat
    Thanks much!!! Happy boating...
    Art

Phat Flat
    That is info I hadn't thought about. Thanks and will do. We used to have a friend in Livermore back in the 70s that raced a Berkley Jet.
    Art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast