Thread: Fluid Dynamic Guru's

Wet Dream
    My neighbor is making a cool little water heating system for the pool. The pool hold 18,000 gallons. The heater is a 55 gallon drum on its side. Its now a woodburner with 26 feet of copper tubing shaped into paperclip spirals for the water to flow through. The tubing is 1/2" ID. Assuming the pool pump flows 1000 GPH, how much should the tubing be able to flow with 25psi?
    The pump is going to do its main filtering part, and "T"d to the heater and regulated.

Wet Dream
    Nothing?

Norseman
    If there are all smooth bends and no kinks, I seem to remember that 1/2 copper has a max flow of about 5 gpm. Just as an FYI copper pipe will melt in a woodfire, but it does make a pretty green fire.
    If your using the the filter pump I would expect the pressure is less than 25psi, I know my pool filter's pressure is about 1/2 that.

centerhill condor
    1/2" copper tubing ID=0.435" average flow rate = 3.8 gpm. Expect increased biochem use due to ash and soot in the pool with your woodburning!

Wet Dream
    Thanks guys. Now I'm wondering if I should say something...or wait until the tubing puts the fire out before I start laughing?

YeLLowBoaT
    Thanks guys. Now I'm wondering if I should say something...or wait until the tubing puts the fire out before I start laughing?
    you need to give him a subtle hint... then laugh at him when the fire goes out or when he comes out and the pool is a foot lower.

YeLLowBoaT
    Oh yeah. make sure you wait to drop the hints until he is about 50% done...

shagmebabe
    Most pool pumps are for high flow low pressure. Your friends pump is 16 Gpm @ approx 60' head. In 1/2" pipe the friction loss for that GPM is around 60' per 100' . with a 26' run that would knock the pump production down to approx 6 to 7 psi and 7 - 8 gpm depending on HP. So his flow would be 9 GPM @ 19psi

Norseman
    If you want some real excitement, have him build a roaring wood fire with the pump off, and them turn it on once everything is good and hot.
    Just make sure no one is near where the water reenters the pool. Might get some steam before the copper lets go!!

Wet Dream
    Thats some funny stuff right there. How much water does 26 feet hold? I guessed 1/2 gallon, the thinks "alot more than that" I said never over 1 gallon.