Thread: pump questions..(rebuild kit?)

NUTHIN
    not sure what happened but the pump needs to be rebuilt. it never really seemed right, vibrating, too much pedal to keep at cruise speed, mtr was getting a lil hot then pump quit. its a berk pump not sure which one! 1979 18' challenger 460 bbf, boat is stock! rebuild kit with all new parts, or how much for a new pump? it is my wife and sons boat (ive never been in it) they
    LIVE in this thing, so downtime isnt good, lol,, they want to use mine...so HELP!!!!! this boat will be fixed quick if ya know what i mean!
    thanks in advance..
    NUTHIN..

victorfb
    sounds like its time to take the pump apart at the very least and inspect it. vibration? water flow to motor blocked? pump QUIT? almost sounds like you (they) sucked a plastic bag or some rope, or something. first thing would be to look up through the intake (bottom of boat) with a flashlight and see if there is any debrit. take the hand hole cover (top of the pump) off and inspect through there aswell if possible. some hulls dont allow you to see through there very easy. remove any debrit and try it. if you dont find anything, it will need to be taken apart and inspected. removing the bowl is fairly easy if you are somewhat mechanical and have decent tools. if your not very knowledgeable with pumps id suggest taking it to someone who is. rebuild kits are roughly $450 for the kit with new impeller. labor prices vary.

NUTHIN
    victorfb--
    the boats up at union valley, just got off the fone and they said the vibration got pretty bad, made some noises they shut er down put it on the trailer, said its something to do with the shaft.. i will look at it when the boats here 2nite.. sounds like rebuild to me for sure..
    i believe stock pump has an a impellar? would they be able to pull tube etc better with a b? not looking to haul just better resonse outa the hole. motor is a never been touched 460 with SOME hours on it..
    thanks

Duane HTP
    For pulling the tube, stay with the A.

steelcomp
    sounds like its time to take the pump apart at the very least and inspect it. vibration? water flow to motor blocked? pump QUIT? almost sounds like you (they) sucked a plastic bag or some rope, or something. first thing would be to look up through the intake (bottom of boat) with a flashlight and see if there is any debrit. take the hand hole cover (top of the pump) off and inspect through there aswell if possible. some hulls dont allow you to see through there very easy. remove any debrit and try it. if you dont find anything, it will need to be taken apart and inspected. removing the bowl is fairly easy if you are somewhat mechanical and have decent tools. if your not very knowledgeable with pumps id suggest taking it to someone who is. rebuild kits are roughly $450 for the kit with new impeller. labor prices vary.
    Yep...what victor said. Sounds like a thorough inspection is in order. Hopefully, thye've just sucked up some rope or something. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Stick with the A impeller.
    Good luck.

victorfb
    definatly stay with the "A" impeller. if its being taken apart, have the impeller (old or new) detailed. meaning it is cleaned up by removing casting crap and all the edges are sharpened, and possibly ballanced. this will make the pump even more efficient and youll be able to pull the skiers or tubes even better. the 460 even in its stock form has alot of torque and will spin the "A" all you need.

junkyardhunter
    you might also want to check the u-joint & drive line.

SmokinLowriderSS
    If it made any nasty grinding-type noises, fear the thrust bearing. If you take it apart to inspect everything, the bearing is pressed on the shaft. The shaft (with the bowl off) should have a small ammount of play in it, the thrust bearing is a roller bearing and thus is only so tight, even if it is a double-row roller. It should be smooth as the shaft spins. ANY roughness or grating feel/sounds coming from the bearing and GET IT OUT QUICK! If they fail in use, suction pieces get destroyed and occasionally crankshafts too. If the bowl is still on, there are a pair of smooth sleve bearings at the rear of the shafr and, assembled, there should be virtually no play in the shaft whatsoever.
    Generally vibration is a sign of FOD (foreign object debris) stuck in the impeller, rock, plastic bag, beer/soda can, diaper (heard of it), etc. This also immediately wrecks water flow so thrust goes away, as does cooling water pressure.
    A jet drive is probably the simplest boat drive you can ever take apart to work on, no gears, no clutches, only 1 shaft, only 5 to 8 seals (depending on how it is accessorized). Very little can go wrong with them.

NUTHIN
    thinking its prettybad.. maybe even into crank probs,,its a dominator pump not a berk. my bad i never really paid attn to it.. it took a few snapshots if i could email them to someone interested in a look? thanks
    the whole end of the pump is loose, and the motor shut down just the same.
    but fired back up(for a sec) i will unhook driveline and turn it over to see,
    guess it wouldnt hurt to rebuild a motor anyhow,
    thanks!!!!

Remove the oil filter and cut it open, that will help you determine whats up with the motor.
    If the pump has a bunch of end play perhaps the thrust bearing went away.Youll have to tear it apart to determine what went away with the bearing.Sometimes its pretty catastophic, other times its all repairable.