Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magneto Plugs

Thunderbutt
    In changing the plugs, the auto parts didn't have what I had in, Autolite ap-25. So I bought Autolite ar-135 racing. Do you think they will work with the Vertex Mag.? They're a lot colder, and the electrode goes to the side of tip, which makes the reach about an 1/8" shorter. What do you think?

Hal
    Check this out
    Spark Plugs

GofastRacer
    The Vertex will fire any plug as long as the gap is within range but is that plug right for your application??..

Infomaniac
    About .018 max gap unless it has an external capacitor.
    heat range is the operating temp of the plug. Has nothing to do with the spark.
    A cold plug is for a very high combustion temp engine. It operates cold enough to not cause pre-ignition.
    It has to be hot enough to repel combustion deposits. If not it fouls easily.
    [ June 13, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Thunderbutt
    Hal:
    Check this out
    Spark Plugs Hal, I like that site, execpt I stayed with Autolite and they think they are junk.
    Gofast, I,m not sure.When the motor was built it had 13/1 compresson as the gas got wrose I would change the compresson, now it has 11/1 with the same cam,open chamber heads. I'm going to try these plugs and see, another $17.00 what the hell.

GofastRacer
    Well shit, I guess it goes back to "whatever works best". I've tried all kinds of plugs that I was told that they were the best, but I found that(in my motors anyway) Autolite and NGK's work the best. Seems like NGK's are a little easier to read than Autolite's but since I'm used to Autolite's numbering and reading them, I just stick with the Autolite's. Maybe with a big ass blown motor it may be a different story, who knows!..
    Info, I've asked this question about a Vertex many times and nobody could give me an answer. "How much gap can you have before it won't run?". So I experimented, I opened it .002 at a time until finally it didn't want to start easy and at low RPM, it would stumble when I stood on it. That was .032. The thing would run like a bitch on the top end though. After that, I went to .022 and it works great, never have a problem. Of course this is on gas, never tried it with alky???..

Infomaniac
    Gas is easier to light off. Any problems would be at starting and low RPM's A big gap will let you know in a hurry when the mag is getting weak.
    The bigger the gap - the more energy must build up to jump it. It is harder on the ignition but gives a hotter spark.
    The mag puts out more energy the faster you spin it. You already knew that.
    [ June 14, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Thunderbutt
    All of the plugs that I used before I gaped at 18 to 20. The ar135 are pre-gaped at 025 by Autolite and you can't change them. They have what looks like a steel electrode and if you try to bend or move it, it will brake. I started the boat up on the lift and adjusted the idel( I'm not worth a shit at that). Info, why don't you make a trip to LOTO and adjust these Carb's. But anyway it runs fine for now.

Infomaniac
    Drag it down here, I will fix it up.

GofastRacer
    Thunderbutt:
    All of the plugs that I used before I gaped at 18 to 20. The ar135 are pre-gaped at 025 by Autolite and you can't change them. They have what looks like a steel electrode and if you try to bend or move it, it will brake. I started the boat up on the lift and adjusted the idel( I'm not worth a shit at that). Info, why don't you make a trip to LOTO and adjust these Carb's. But anyway it runs fine for now. Sooo, how does it start and run with the gaps at .025??(excluding idle, I won't get into that)!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast