Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a problem?

Snowboat
    I can never get my v drive to get above 130 degrees, after a run. Most of the time she runs about 100 degrees. The sender is in the intake manifold. The feel of the block tells me the guage is fairly accurate. There is .010" clearance with forged blower pistons. Is this too cold and will it cause damage? Thanks.

DANS66STEVENS
    I would say you want to run 160 to 180. I run no thermostat at all and my temp is 160.Will it hurt the motor? Your motor is tolerenced to run 180 by running it colder you may cause damage. I know I woudn't take a car that was at 130 deg. and run it real hard. Why don't you just ad a 160 thermostat?

LeE ss13
    To quote a MotorCraft service bulletin, " ..at 100 degree oil temperature, engine wear is 8 times greater". Oil is designed to lubricate hot. It you've ever pulled the head off a six cylinder that has been running without the thermostat for many miles, the front cylinders have the most taper (wear) because that's where the cold water hits first. Heat it up.
    ------
    LeE ss13

Snowboat
    Thanks for the replies Larry and Dan. Larry, I have used your advice several times in the past with success. Dan, I don't have a spot for a thermostat in the blower manifold. Larry, the hoses go into the front of the blower manifold on each side. The snout is in the way. How do I heat it up, put in some kind of thermostatically operated bypass on the outlet? There will be ice on the lake in four weeks. Thanks, Ken.

DANS66STEVENS
    Well I have seen a thermostat that goes inline on a Model A Ford. The only thing is im not sure what tempeture it runs at. It just slides inside the hose.
    You could always add a ball valve on the water supply line after the pump. I wonder if your gauge is wacky? You running in ICE CUBES???? Where you from? You will also make more horsepower with a higher temp.

Bluefin
    Hey Snowboat, My temp stays around 130 degrees unless I run it wide open for a while then shut it down. Then it gets upto 200 or so. I was checking the timing one time while standing on the cav. plate and the hot water from the motor hit me on both ankles. Let me tell you the water was well above 130 degrees. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif I know what a scalded cat feels like. Mike

ratman
    at one time i thought i had a problem with my temperature at a 130 degrees. i have a cam driven water pump(v drive setup). i installed a thermostat in my tunnel ram manafold. the back pressure ruined the impeller in the water pump. neovain or kuhl water pumps do not like back pressure. water temperature between 130 and 200 degrees on your motor wont hurt it a bit.

superdave013
    Originally posted by ratman:
    at one time i thought i had a problem with my temperature at a 130 degrees. i have a cam driven water pump(v drive setup). i installed a thermostat in my tunnel ram manafold. the back pressure ruined the impeller in the water pump. neovain or kuhl water pumps do not like back pressure. water temperature between 130 and 200 degrees on your motor wont hurt it a bit.
    You did not use the correct kind of t-stat. The ones for marine use have a bypass so your pump will never be dead headed. The kits that Rex or Eddie marine sell work killer. My boat did not have one but I will be putting one on soon.

Snowboat
    Dans66stevens. I run in Northeast Wyoming, V drive capital of the world. Anyhoo, I thought I would post a reply that came back to me from the Az don site. Larry said that he runs his engine cooling off of one pump outlet and the the other one goes to dump. This sounds best if you don't have, or want, a thermostat. Plus, I can restict the engine side and open the other side up. If I can make heat in the engine on Wed or Thurs, I'll let you all know. Snowboat

PipesClean
    Hey Snowboat, I grew up spending my summers up there, where do you run at?.....DeSmitt???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast