Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I have a problem?

Snowboat
    Lake Desmet is too cold and rough. We keep a fifth wheel at Keyhole. When I get my noise down to 87 db, 90' off the exhaust outlet, I'll go back to Tongue River in Montana. Noise Cops are very strict there. With big flowmasters on I can almost get there. Gonna try slip in's with the flowmasters and maybe I can get down that low. It would help if I could get the idle down but 1,000 rpm, in gear, is as low as I can get it.

Bluefin
    Hey Snowboat, You mentioned running Flowmaster mufflers. What Flowmaster muffler are you using. Do you have Bassetts? Is there any trouble running water through them? Mike

Snowboat
    The idea to use Flowmasters came from Le ss13. They are double ugly and ruin the lines of beautiful boats. However, they have their place. I figure that the lakes of the nation will eventually be ruled by trolling motors. They are 4" flowmaster 40 series with 45 degree extensions, canted towards the centerline of the wake. There is a 3/16" hole drilled in the low point of the muffler so the residual water can drain out. Four stainless steel band muffler clamps are used to clamp the mufflers to the headers and the extensions to the mufflers. Then I made a saddle and used long worm drive clamps to hold the mufflers to that. There are two pieces of 3/8 all thread, using coupling nuts, as the nuts for the band clamps, that tie the two muffs together, so they don't wobble on the trailer going down the road. This may not have been necessary but I overkill everything. A 3/8 rod, welded to the saddle and welded on the other end to a split collar, which captures a fabbed bronze bushing, which goes around the cav control rod. This gave me a db of 93 at 1,300 rpm, with a cammed up supercharged 460 Chevy on the trailer with a hose. The meter was held one meter from the outlet at 90'. I intend to try the Bassett slip in's, in conjunction with the Flowmasters to see if I can comply with the Montana noise cops. Wyoming has no laws. Further research in the next few days. Bear in mind this is ugly but may be necessary for Boatcops.

126driver
    Hey Snowboat,
    I agree with the looks of the mufflers. They're butt-ugly. Had to run them a few times back in the day at Long Beach Marine Stadium too.
    Check out this link: http://www.wannaberacing.com/boat.html
    I'm acquainted with this guy somewhat, never seen the mufflers in person, but he says they look ok and work good. I have no idea what they are, (he says FLowmasters?) but maybe you can drop him a line.
    Scott

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12