Thread: Synthetic Oils

powerplay230
    Hey Guys,
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't see any recent posts on it. What's the consensus on using Sythetics in marine engines. Have a 502 magnum (just broke in, trying not to break) that is run in the warm waters here in Florida, fresh water cooled rarely sees 190 degrees. For the most part is run in the 2800-4000 range. Have read a few articles that claim some free HP and more protection for motor. Also what brand and weights have you had luck with.
    Thanks,
    Rich

carreraboat
    There are a ton of opions on this subject but iwas told and i do not use Sythetics because your boat sits to long between starts and that stuff is so slick it dry starts in a boat so i have always used straight weight oil
    just my .02

Ric 232
    That's a myth. Synthetics cling better to the metal parts inside an engine, so dry starts are LESS of a problem.

Clown
    "Hell ya"

76Sleek
    AMSOIL 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine
    great stuff! includes a MIL-L-21260D rust prevention lubricant that actually protects stored engines aginst rust for up to one year

We run synthetic in my boat and my old man's drag boat. I agree with ric232 about it being a myth. It's been proven that synthetic oil is better and you gain a little HP when switching from conventional oil to a synthetic brand. We use Mobil 1(10W-40) and haven't experienced any problems at all.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/At_River_2.JPG[/img]
    [ October 03, 2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Stix818 ]

Tee
    Complete myth, I am an Amsoil dealer and have been for 20 years. I run it in everything I own. Never had a lubrication related failure on anything yet. I currently have 20/50 racing oil in my boat. Pulled a few caps last winter after 50 hours of hard (12 psi boost, up to 6000 rpm at times) running and all bearings looked like new.
    Tee

Maverick
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by powerplay230:
    [QB]Hey Guys,
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't see any recent posts on it. What's the consensus on using Sythetics in marine engines. Have a 502 magnum
    I've run Mobil 1 15 / 50 for years in my big block boats - Never a problem and oil temps run below conventional oils( 10-20 degs), promise of more power is probably hope and not fact; but if you run hard - synthetic will not let you break.