Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting a V-Drive on the trailer?

126driver
    If you take the prop off, you can put in gear, but what for? Find out where the boat picks up water, probably on the plate or on the bottom of the boat at the rear, and hold the garden hose to it. Fire away!

GofastRacer
    superV:
    If I take the prop off I can put it in gear right? superV, you should be able to undo the line at the pump inlet and hook a hose to it. I like to use a bucket with a short hose and use the garden hose to fill the bucket instead of forcing water through the pump!. Never run it in gear on the trailer, if you do, you will wipe out the strut bushing, they are water lubricated. Also before you put it in the water, give the shaft log, rudder and cav plate rod seals a slight amount of grease, be careful not to blow the seals...Hope this helps!...

126driver
    When we want to run the raceboat on the trailer, we have a couple of hoses with fittings on them. We pull the pickup line off of the plate and hook it to one hose, and pull the out line off of the manifold fitting and hook up another line. Stick both hoses in a five-gal bucket of water and recirculate the water. But for a quick run on the trailer we just hold the garden hose to the pickup. The guy holding the hose gets a little wet but it works.

FlatRacer
    DO NOT PUT IT IN GEAR!!! you will burn up your strut bearing!

126driver
    GofastRacer:
    Never run it in gear on the trailer, if you do, you will wipe out the strut bushing, they are water lubricated.Oh yeah.

GofastRacer
    Yeah, that works, can't do that with mine though, my pick up in on the bottom of the boat!...

superdave013
    SV, don't run it in gear. The strut bushings are lubed by the water. If you spin the shaft dry it will burn them up. And it makes a nasty sound too.
    Like 69 elim says the bucket works good. For the guys with water injected headers that's the only way to go. That way when it's shut off it won't pump water in the heads. With your logs you could hook the hose up direct if you wanted to. I would still use the bucket so you can make sure the water pump is working. Those pumps are self priming so it should pick it up from the bucket no problem.

126driver
    One other thing Superv. Don't run the boat dry, you'll burn up your waterpump in a heartbeat. eek!

superdave013
    Damn, looks at all the guys that beat me to the bushing thing.

superV
    Thanks guys that what i need to know! The only reson i wanted to put it in gear is to make sure it shifts since im buying it with out a water test. Going to finish the deal on sat. I will do a compression test, and start the motor, I hope! It has not been ran in two years! eek! But as most of you know its a steel for the price so if it runs, shifts and has compression its mine!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast