Thread: Over Heating Prob

jmtjet
    Chrysler V-8, 240 HP,LM318 inboard. I rebuilt the pocket pump(raw water pump) with a new rubber impeller.Changed all belts. Cleaned out all old rubber debris from old impeller.Changed thermostat. Test ran the boat-still over heating. Would anyone have an idea were I go from here? I'm at my wits end.
    PS: One exhaust header runs hotter than the other-less water flow to that side. Don't understand why? Thanks in advance.

Infomaniac
    Is the water heated in the exhaust manifold before the engine? Thermostat?
    Lean mixture
    Wrong timing
    Restrictive exhaust
    All will overheat the engine
    [ June 25, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

jmtjet
    I don't think so. The diagram shows: intake>>oil cooler>>single pocket pump>>splits to exhaust manifolds and centrifugal pump>>centrifugal pump to engine>>engine to thermostat>>thermostat splits to exh manifolds or by-pass back to cent. pump. Thank for the reply-that gave me something to look for.
    PS: the engine has been turning over hard when hot.Always starts-just cranks hard.

jmtjet:
    Cleaned out all old rubber debris from old impeller. one key area... make sure you got it all. impeller pieces tend to get caught in hoses and fittings and can be a bitch to find sometimes.

Thunderbutt
    Is it geting hot on both sides? I think Mike is right its a peace of the impeller.

jmtjet
    Today we took the pocket pump and hose off and found a tea cup full of rubber debris between the oil cooler and pump. Also, one end of the oil cooler was leaking water-solder had deteriated. Can I re-solder the cooler? I've done a fair amount of soldering. Thanks.