Thread: How can I check the oil pump?

Outnumbered
    Just blew the roll pin on my new mallory dist after about 2 hrs of run time. Not sure why it went so I am being careful. Before I fire this back up is there a way to check the oil pump. Its a 1987 460 ford. The hex drive on the oil pump turns pretty freely when I grab the rotor and turn it (gear not pinned back yet). The hex drive has side to side play. Is this normal? It flops around a little if you push it with a long screwdriver. I just wanted to make sure I didn't shear the hex drive and its just flopping around in there. I'm still learning so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    OL

Blown 472
    Old Lavey:
    Just blew the roll pin on my new mallory dist after about 2 hrs of run time. Not sure why it went so I am being careful. Before I fire this back up is there a way to check the oil pump. Its a 1987 460 ford. The hex drive on the oil pump turns pretty freely when I grab the rotor and turn it (gear not pinned back yet). The hex drive has side to side play. Is this normal? It flops around a little if you push it with a long screwdriver. I just wanted to make sure I didn't shear the hex drive and its just flopping around in there. I'm still learning so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    OL I use a 8 inch 1/4 drive extension with 5/16 socket with some tape to hold it in a drill and pre oil that way, but you can put a mechanical gauge in the back of the block and spin it with a drill to check for pressure. And yes the drive is sloppy in there, the dist keeps it centered.

Floored
    many years ago spun distributor in my camaro. took mallory dist apart and found a nut had come off and lodged between shaft and housing. if dist hadn't spun roll pin would have broken. something to check.

Most aftermarket distributers use a cheap roll pin and they usually break. Replace it with a tempered steel roll pin or press in a smaller pin thru the center of the bigger pin.

Moneypitt
    Be VERY careful when it comes to beefing up the roll pin. What is the weakest link? the roll pin! would you rather wipe out the gear on the cam? find out what caused the pin to "shear". Cold thick oil will make the pump work harder, cam walk, dist bushings etc. CAN cause some problems in this area, but I've seen bone stock fords (in cars) twist the hex drive like a pritzel, and then run fine with a new drive installed...and no other changes. The pressure bypass should be suspected in your case, did the oil filter change shapes?.....Moneypitt

Outnumbered
    Oil filter looks fine. This happened on a 100 degree day running for about 20 minutes between 3,500 and 4,500 RPM. I was cruising about 4,200 and pulled back to about 3,500 and bam it was like someone turned off the key. eek! Oil is clean and fresh castrol syntec. I can't remember the viscosity but its nothting too heavy. How do I check the bypass? Like I said, I'm learning
    Thanks,
    OL

Outnumbered
    Talked to Mallory tech today. They say they have been having this problem with Fords. Something about the high volume oil pumps. They said it is Ok to go to a stronger pin. They basically admitted that their pins are sh*t. Wish they would have told me before the $350 tow
    OL

Thunderbutt
    Old Lavey:
    Talked to Mallory tech today. They say they have been having this problem with Fords. Something about the high volume oil pumps. They said it is Ok to go to a stronger pin. They basically admitted that their pins are sh*t. Wish they would have told me before the $350 tow
    OL Do you mean someone charged you $350.00 for a tow. He is the one to lean on. I've towed so many boats I can't count them.

Outnumbered
    We were on Mead about 15 miles from the nearest marina. Not too many people offer to help you when you are that far out. One group of cool people in a 21' Hallet stopped but they were in the Hallet Regatta poker run. They said they would come back and help us after the day was over. But it was early and with two small kids and the wife in the boat I did'nt want to take a chance that the guy was gonna no show after drifting all day, so I called the ranger on the VHF and they sent out a tow boat service. $115/hr from the time he leaves the dock to the time he gets back. It sucks but I really didn't have much choice. Plus I would rather pay the cash than tie-up 3 hours of someones day when they are on vacation.
    OL
    [ June 26, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Lavey ]