Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cutting aluminum

I need to cut my motor plates to fit between my stringers, any recommendations on what tools/blades i should use or any tricks to get a clean cut? I'm only making about a 3" long cut on all 4 coners (front and rear plates, each side). I have hand saw, skill saw, jigsaw and sawsaw in my collection. Jig saw sounds to me like the best to use but what type blade? Just a standard metal cutting blade?

YeLLowBoaT
    Any of those will work. my guess is ether a hack saw or a skill saw with a fiber metal cuting blade would make the cleanest cuts. your still going to have to take a file to it.

FlatRat
    Make sure that you use some cutting fluid as to keep the blade from clogging up. :rollside:

HOSS
    I`d use the saw saw.

Given the tool choices I'd go with the jigsaw with a coarse tooth metal cutting blade, sawzall would be my second choice even though it sounds a little crude. Clamp the plate securely and go slow then dress with file when done. I would not use a fine tooth blade like you would typically use for steel. I would not use a fiber metal cutting blade on aluminum as they just clog up with melted material in a short time.
    Now given a wide open choice of saws I'd go with a band saw or a radial arm saw for straight cuts. For home use a radial arm saw with a diamond finish cut blade (for wood) works really well on aluminum if the material is secure and you feed slow and steady. Done it many times. A pivoted cutoff saw with similar blade will work well on bar also.
    Now I use a cold saw for bar but still use a band saw for curved cutting on plate for one-off parts, prototypes etc.

For projects like that I like to use the water jet cutter, Rex you mean you don't have one lying around? no just kidding A jig saw and a coarse Bi-metal blade will do the job, just make sure you have a few extras if needed. A good lubricant helps keep the Aluminum from clogging the blades, and taking your time... no going too fast also is key. Cover the areas near the cut with several layers of Duct tape or masking tape to protect from galling, caused by the metal chips and the saw shoe. Good luck and take your time, oh and measure twice, cut once
    Sleek

HOSS
    I`d use the saw saw.
    Just what is this anyway?

rerfert
    Just what is this anyway?
    His spelling of a saws all.
    If thick aluminum I use a skill saw with a metal/diamond blade.....use a guide plate clamped on for a straight line (sort of making a hand held table saw with a rip fence) and first make a shallow cut (1/8" pass) then cut the rest of the material.

lucky
    If it was me and I would mark exsactly where you wanted it - with a permenent marker - take it to a metal shop and pay the 3 bucks a cut ( shear it ) then its easy to clean up and will look ten times nicer - ya need the right tools ... to do a quality job . i mean fred flinstone had wheels on his car - but he wasn't running indy now was he chris

steelcomp
    Any circular saw with a carbide blade is going to give you the best finish and fastest cut. The more teeth, the better. I use my little Ryobi 18v cordless on motorplates, and anything up to 1/2". I've cut 2" plate with a regular Skilsaw. For straight cuts, you can clamp a straight-edge to the piece, and use it as a fence. For contours I use a jigsaw with as course a metal blade as you can find. You have to use lots of lube to keep the blade clean, and don't push too hard, or go too fast. Let the saw do the work. I use either WD40 or LPS. If you're going to polish the stuff, then definately use tape along the path of the cut, as the vibrations and chips will cause scratches. I wouldn't think a diamond blade would stay clean anough to cut aluminum, but I guess if these guys say so...never tried. Don't use a fiber blade. You'll still have to dress any cut you make with a file, belt sander, or disc. I bought a little 10" disc from Harbor Frieght, and it's great for getting the edges straight and clean on short brackets and stuff, and works great for rounding off corners.
    Last note...with the carbide blades in circular saws...get a face shield. There's going to be chips flying, and goggles won't cut it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast