Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first jet boat; I've got questions...

Wyomingoutlaw
    hello everybody! I just bought my first jet boat, and since they're all but nonexistant up here, I'm hoping you all can answer a few questions for me. and I'd just like to say that I've done my homework and read lots of old posts, and I'm learning alot but I'm still confused about a few things.
    ok, the boat is a 1979 21' tahiti with a 460 ford and a berkeley 12JC A pump. it does not have a jetovator, so I plan to put one on this winter. after studying pictures of pumps, I'm thinking I can unbolt the back of the pump from inside the boat, then turn it 90 degrees and use the old turning nozzle pivet points as the new up/down pivet points for the jetovator? or should I use a place diverter, since my understanding is a place diverter turns first then pivets up/down? which would be easier?
    also when I take off in the boat I really have to baby it or it will suck the pump dry, or at least I think that is what is happing. makes it hard to get a skier up. is there anything I can do about this?
    and I have water coming out around the outside of the turning nozzle; should all the water be coming out of the nozzle and not leaking around the edges?
    any info you guys can give me would be great! I've only dealt with outboards before, so you can dumb it down for me as much as you like!

eek-a-RAT
    welcome to ***boat! GOLD!

SB
    jetovator, so I plan to put one on this winter. after studying pictures of pumps, I'm thinking I can unbolt the back of the pump from inside the boat, then turn it 90 degrees and use the old turning nozzle pivet points as the new up/down pivet points for the jetovator? or should I use a place diverter, since my understanding is a place diverter turns first then pivets up/down? which would be easier?
    also when I take off in the boat I really have to baby it or it will suck the pump dry, or at least I think that is what is happing. makes it hard to get a skier up. is there anything I can do about this?
    !
    Do a search here on jetovators and place diverters.
    You need to be mentally prepared for the jet to rev up faster than a prop boat, don't worry unless your rpm goes over about 4800 on takeoff.

napabob
    My Place diverter has the new Teflon coated steering nozzle that eliminates the squirting of water from the sides.
    http://www.placediverter.com/index.php?page=about

ok, the boat is a 1979 21' tahiti with a 460 ford and a berkeley 12JC A pump. it does not have a jetovator, so I plan to put one on this winter. after studying pictures of pumps, I'm thinking I can unbolt the back of the pump from inside the boat, then turn it 90 degrees and use the old turning nozzle pivet points as the new up/down pivet points for the jetovator? or should I use a place diverter, since my understanding is a place diverter turns first then pivets up/down? which would be easier?
    and I have water coming out around the outside of the turning nozzle; should all the water be coming out of the nozzle and not leaking around the edges?
    1st off...thats a heavy boat & will require a little more RPM to pull a skier up out of deep water...dont be afraid to give it some throttle...smoothly
    2nd...i would go with the place diverter...jet-o-vators (orig) are hard to find & Berkeley doesn't make them anymore...they only sell parts if u have one!
    3rd...it sounds like the nylon O-ring (big) is broke or cracked allowing water to escape around the inner part of the nozzle...water should come straight out the back
    jet boats are alot of fun & if properly tuned etc...they can give u trouble free pleasure...as mentioned above...GET used to the boat & what it will do!
    Welcome to HB & feel free to ask all the ??? u want...people are here to help
    fastrat

Duane HTP
    Your boat is old enough that your nozzle may not even have a nylon O-Ring the others are talking about. Anyway, get a Place diverter and solve two problems at once. They come with the nylon ring already on them.
    With the power you have, you should pretty much be able to shove the pedal to the floor to take off. As you gain speed for your skier, back out of it some. If it just turns loose like a clutch slipping, it may need some pump work. If you have to do any pump work, do yourself a favor and put a DPS inducer kit in it. http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/cavita~1.jpg This is something that was developed long after your boat was built, and will help that big boat greatly on take off.

SmokinLowriderSS
    You need to be mentally prepared for the jet to rev up faster than a prop boat, don't worry unless your rpm goes over about 4800 on takeoff.
    Yep. Punch the throttle to the floor from idle in Lowrider, and she immediately winds to 5,000 RPM, never slips a bit (the pump is freshly rebuilt and tight), but stops right there at 5K. We launch very quickly and the RPM never varries because the pump and the Agressor "B" has her 454 out-muscled at that point. Jets are far different in this than a prop is. My usual RPM pulling a skiier or tube up is about 4,000 or so, plenty of pull to pop tham right up, and I slow to between 3000 and 3500 for the tow, about 3000 on the tube.
    If the pump really does "suck dry", the DPS Inducer Duane mentioned is a great help, especially on heavy boats and/or high-HP engines with large (A and AA) impellers.
    Double check the cleanout cover (if it is inside the boat, do this OUT OF THE WATER) to insure the o-ring is good and not leaking air into the suction housing.

Moneypitt
    It could aslso have some trash or rope stuck in it. How does it perform once you plane the boat???????????..............MP

Wyomingoutlaw
    thanks for the info guys. when I bought the boat the owner had just had the steering cable and reverser replaced, and he had the pump checked out. the boat place signed a paper saying the pump was all good, and since that was a major selling point for me I hope its good. when the boat is wide open up on plane it is great. not the white knuckled thrill ride I would like, but still fast enough to give everyone a thrill, and the pump doesn't seem to run out of water. it takes forever to get on plane though, thats why I think I need the diverter. I will check the inspection cover, and I remember the previous owner telling me he had sucked up a sky rope last trip out, so maybe the problem is there. also would a loader be helpful for me, or are those for the faster boats?

1968Droptop
    .........not the white knuckled thrill ride I would like, but still fast enough to give everyone a thrill.........
    Yet another victom, the disease rages on :skull:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast