Thread: Propshaft vibration

H8Monday
    Is this normal at low speeds/rpm's? How much movement should there be in the propshaft and strut?
    Any suggestions to help smooth out a low speed rumble?

CircleJerk
    Prop shaft vibration cost me the use of my boat. My dearest girlfriend complained that the boat tickled her feet and I had to do something! So I gave her the lavey and bought another flat for myself. Now, her boat tickles her feet!!! Seriously, If you have a two blade prop they have a tendancy to vibrate. A three blade is usually balanced and will not vibrate even with a worn strut bushing. I have found a sure cure in the rubber style brass incased bushing called Blackfish in the Glenwood catalogue. However, you must drill the strut so it can supply water to the front of the rear bush. These bushings take a beating even if you hit a sandbar or two. They are more expensive. The fiber style offer less resistance and are preferred by racers I am told. I run the rubber style with no complaints and they last a loooonnnnnggggg time. Jerk

V-Drive Tom
    H8MONDAY, There should be NO movement in your strut,NONE. If you grab your prop and move it back and forth, you should only have a tiny amount of shake, in the strut bushings.(maybe 35 Thousandths) The more you have , the more it has an opportunity to vibrate. If you can SEE ANY imperfections in your prop, it IS out of balance and should be reshaped and balanced. TOM..

H8Monday
    Uh, oh, then there is the problem(s). I can see and feel a small nick in one of the blades (of 3) and when you grab the prop, the shaft moves side to side, up and down in the strut, enough to see it move.
    Ok, that brings me to another question, Do you guys remove your prop everytime you leave the lake? and put the prop on as part of your launch preparation?