Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the dog lovers

BshyBvrGirl
    I had to take my pooch into the vet this morning because she broke out with another "hot spot" on her neck. They're running some tests to see if it's something more serious, but usually these things are just caused by humidity (or so I was told by the vet I saw while on vacation)...as it's a skin infection that kind of looks like a burst boil or blister. We just got done with 15 days of antiobotics and cortisone spray about a month ago. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issues and how you dealt with it?

breezeblocker
    our dog has one too. we are going to the vet tomorrow. what kind of treatment do they get? is there anything i can do myself? thanks ,brett

Run_em_Hard
    Let me get with the wife real quick and I will let you know...

Wet Dream
    My old dog used to get them quite often. Now the 3 year old lab is getting something similar. The vet is saying its an allergic reaction to fleas and to give the dog Benadryl. The golden doesn't have anything wrong, and she has a longer coat. Back to the lab...I'll bump my post from last night. UGH!!

Warlockjer
    Our little dog used to get the quite often. The vet would shave them off and give us some medication. This went on for awhle and she no longer gets them.

XTRM22
    My chowmix (gone a year now and still missing her) got hot spots a few times and the vet determine it was a food allergy. My dogs often get a little of the left overs on their food the next day for flavor, and we determine Osita was allergic to processed pork, ham bacon stuff like that.
    Chuck

Tremor Girl
    What are you feeding your dog? If it's a food with any by-products or wheat products i.e. Science diet, purina, pedigree, etc. those can cause skin problems. Try switching to a natural dog food with no by-products or wheat. 75% of the time it's food related. Try using fish oil in their food. It's really good for their coat and system.

BshyBvrGirl
    Thanks for all the replies. I may try switching her food. We're back on antibiotics 3 times a day for 10 days and cortisone sprays 4 times a day.
    I have a lab/chow mix...just wondering if its a common problem for those breeds.

Ziggy
    Thanks for all the replies. I may try switching her food. We're back on antibiotics 3 times a day for 10 days and cortisone sprays 4 times a day.
    I have a lab/chow mix...just wondering if its a common problem for those breeds.
    Our Lab/Chow used to get them a lot. Antibiotics, topical solutions and the famous RCA cone on his head where regular events.
    He seems to have not many in the last year or two.....diet may have been part of it.

topless
    I've had 2 dogs that got them. They put my Rottweiler on cortizone pills and that worked. It was from flea allergy I was told. My dogs now are on Frontline and have no fleas so no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast