Thread: Fuel Pressure ?

VD CRUISER
    How much pressure can the needle and seats on a Holley Dominator take before they flood the bowls ? We tried one of the Holley Keith Dorton series mechanical fuel pumps and it put out about 9.5 lbs of pressure without a regulator and the engine didn't want to idle right, but fuel wasn't coming out of the vent tubes.

Moneypitt
    Was the fuel dripping in the carb thru the venturi ports? What prompted you to change fuel pumps?

9.5 is to much for Holley needle/seats. You need to regulate down to about 6-6.5 lbs @ wot/maximum rpm.

VD CRUISER
    We could not see any fuel dripping in, but the bowls were filling about half way up the viewing holes even after lowering the floats. The engine hasn't been run in about 3 years and the electric pumps would not work. Since I have been using a Clay Smith mechanical pump on my blown engine with good results, we wanted to use a mechanical pump on my buddies boat,as he doesn't run a alternator. The new Holley pump advertised that it pumped 170+ gph, so it seemed like the way to go. Looks like we need to use a regulator.