Thread: New Fuel Tank ????'s

sawtooth
    I am going to have new alum. tanks built for my 21' RC and I want to have them put the sight tube in the side for the fuel level rather than another gauge on the dash (interior will not have side panels that cover tanks) but I am hearing that it is not legal "USCG". Also do the fuel pick ups have to exit the top of the tank "USCG" or can I have them come out the lower side near the bottom of the tank, I have seen pic's like this but they were ski race boats. Looking for anybodys $.02 on this matter, Thanks.
    Chris.

Itsahobby
    How about a remote gauge by the tank?

MKEELINE
    I don't think site tubes or bottom fed tanks are USCG legal. You might want to check w/ USCG or give Boat Cops web site a try. I recently changed the tanks in my Hallett from tube p/u to bottom feed. I put a shut off valve on each tank. My fuel gauge is my ski flag.

Bob Hostetter
    I though I was the only one that used their ski flag to check the fuel level. Maybe it's a Hallett thing.......

MKEELINE
    I though I was the only one that used their ski flag to check the fuel level. Maybe it's a Hallett thing.......
    LOL....or it could be that the flag is more accurate than the gauge.

GofastRacer
    I don't think site tubes or bottom fed tanks are USCG legal.
    That is correct!..

GofastRacer
    I been using the ski flag for 30yrs and never owned a Hallett, LOL...

Bob Hostetter
    Hmmmm, maybe you should..........

DUCKY
    It is true. CG regs state that there can be no removable fittings, plugs, etc... below the fuel level.
    Lot's of people have done it though.....
    First off, if your boat is or will be insured, don't do it. If you have a fire, they will fight you tooth and nail. Secondly, how do you boat? If you are a safe, sober, courteous boater, then the gustapo will probably leave you be, even if they do inspect you, which usually means you pissed them off and they are looking for a reason to cite you.