Thread: Kevlar Lavey Craft

Nostalgia346
    I am looking at purchasing a 1972 Kevlar flat bottom lavey craft, that is in some need work. Does anyone know someone that does, or has worked with Kevlar that might be able to help me with the necessary repairs?

dmontzsta
    Any pics of this boat?

boatguy222
    You might want to talk to George Nordling, there was one in up here back in the day, and he would know about it if anybody would.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I am looking at purchasing a 1972 Kevlar flat bottom lavey craft, that is in some need work. Does anyone know someone that does, or has worked with Kevlar that might be able to help me with the necessary repairs?
    Grich would be able to hook you up...

WannabeRacing
    Do you know what resin the Kevlar was laid up with, and what type of damage?

CircleJerk
    Grich would be able to hook you up...
    Yup! Paul Grichar! I had heard there were only three, one was the 888 boat, or was it 333? Old age is a fixin to get me! The other person to ask is Mike Conti. And George is still in contact with Al Lavey and could also help s ince the Grich is still signing autographs from his last race.

DUCKY
    I have worked with Kevlar and could probably fix it. Give me a call, or email me some pics.

CircleJerk
    What makes you think its Kevlar? and how do you know its a 72? That's very very early and would be a twin to the Blonde's L boat in the garage. Pictures would help and a serial number if you can find the title, those early ones wont have a number on the transom, if it is a 72.

Nostalgia346
    Thanks for the help. The boat was actually made in 1979, and per the owner was a Kevlar lay up with a cobalt (sp.?) resin mixture. Now, not knowing much, I have no idea if that just made sense. Any Input would be awesome. To be more specific regarding the damage, when we flipped over the boat to check the bottom for delaminating, it appears as though on of the stringers (driver side) is pushing threw the bottom. Other than that the boat is structurally very sound. Before I do anything I suppose I would need to grind that section out and see what really is going on. I will post pix soon. Thanks again! :crossx:
    Matt

MikeF
    The boat was actually made in 1979, and per the owner was a Kevlar lay up with a cobalt (sp.?) resin mixture. Now, not knowing much, I have no idea if that just made sense. Any Input would be awesome.
    I've spoken to the guy who originally laid up my hull and he said that same thing about using a Cobalt resin to lay it up. Says that resin was required to lay up a kevlar boat and says it was some nasty stuff!
    My hull was made in 1977.