Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Distributor Help!

skeeter
    Is anybody familiar with the prestolite distributors that came on the jet boats in the early 80's? I am having a problem finding a distributor cap and rotor for mine. It has a tan cap with an o ring underneath and the o ring went south so figured it was time for a rebuild....Anybody have an idea where I might find a cap? Napa could not find a match for mine.

Devilman
    Is anybody familiar with the prestolite distributors that came on the jet boats in the early 80's? I am having a problem finding a distributor cap and rotor for mine. It has a tan cap with an o ring underneath and the o ring went south so figured it was time for a rebuild....Anybody have an idea where I might find a cap? Napa could not find a match for mine.
    Does it look like this? Little, skinny distributor cap?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...stributor2.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...stributor1.jpg

skeeter
    No. Sure don't. It does not have a vacuum advance and is a single point distributer with just a single wire exiting it.
    Appreciate the reply though.

I have one on the Advantage. I think the cap crosses with a Nash or some shit. Have you tried Rex? Oh, and if you wind up keeping it (and it hasn't been done already), get the Pertronix electronic conversion for it. Makes life so much better.
    Or buy them here (http://www.prestostore.com/catalog.php/pmcparts/pd39213)

skeeter
    I have one on the Advantage. I think the cap crosses with a Nash or some shit. Have you tried Rex? Oh, and if you wind up keeping it (and it hasn't been done already), get the Pertronix electronic conversion for it. Makes life so much better.
    Or buy them here (http://www.prestostore.com/catalog.php/pmcparts/pd39213)
    Does yours have that goofy o ring that goes under the cap? And where do you find one of those...Mine is a square cut...

Devilman
    No. Sure don't. It does not have a vacuum advance and is a single point distributer with just a single wire exiting it.
    Appreciate the reply though.
    I was just askin cause I've had the same problem with mine. I've tried repeatedly for damn near the 2 years I've had the boat, to get a cap & rotor. Nobody has been able to ID it yet. Mike (Rexone) told me awhile back, he thought it may be an old Prestolite distributor. The points on mine have been removed sometime in the past, its been converted over to electronic ignition, not sure what brand though. Vacuum advance on mine is not hooked up, somebody may have removed the one on yours....
    I'll be sure & follow your thread, so maybe I can end the mystery, even though I'll more than likely go with a D.U.I. HEI unit to replace the whole thing.
    Good luck!

jetboat
    I was just askin cause I've had the same problem with mine. I've tried repeatedly for damn near the 2 years I've had the boat, to get a cap & rotor. Nobody has been able to ID it yet. Mike (Rexone) told me awhile back, he thought it may be an old Prestolite distributor. The points on mine have been removed sometime in the past, its been converted over to electronic ignition, not sure what brand though. Vacuum advance on mine is not hooked up, somebody may have removed the one on yours....
    I'll be sure & follow your thread, so maybe I can end the mystery, even though I'll more than likely go with a D.U.I. HEI unit to replace the whole thing.
    Good luck!
    would like to buy a used ford vacume dist with two brain boxess?bought it last year from greaser and never used it.

Jim Brock
    any good marine shop should be able to get you one, i carry points kit,rotor, cap in stock, jim

Does yours have that goofy o ring that goes under the cap? And where do you find one of those...Mine is a square cut...
    It does, but mine is still usable so I don't know where you would find one. If you ONLY need the cap, use the p/n for just the cap on the link and do an internet search. A company called Sierra makes the cap.

Dana Marine Products
    We stock Prestolite rebuild kits, just need to know if it's a screw down or clip down cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast