Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxers

Richie Rich
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 3 month old, pure bred, male Boxer. He's fawn colored and has been wormed and has all his shots. My only concern is I'm wondering if this is going to be a good breed of dog for my family which right now consists of the wife (she's scared to death of dogs but willing to give this one a try), my high energy 3 year old daughter, and myself. No future child additions are planned.
    Basically I'm wondering if this type of dog is going to do well in a house when he will be alone during work hours and he will need to be forgiving of my kid if the play accidently gets too rough. I have a fairly large townhome with a decent sized backyard and direct access to the common areas in the neighborhood. My only expereince with any other type of dog was when I was single. I had a Great Dane that was one lazy SOB. So I'm looking for any owners of Boxers out there to share your thoughts and experiences on this particular breed.
    The asking price is pretty high (pet shop purchase) even though the dog has a 5 year warranty and health insurance built into the price. I still want to know what to expect before I lay out that kind of coin for a dog.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the advice and input.

Huckleberry
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ups_PS-med.jpg
    We have two boxers. A 3-year old female, and a 14-month old female. They are both completely different personalities, but great dogs. Boxers LOVE to play! Thay have more energy that you, your spouse, and your child combined! They are also very intelligent and MUST be trained because they are also kinda stubborn. Our pups have had kids of all ages pulling, tugging, pushing...on them. They're very tolerant of it. My boxers LOVE playing rough with me too! They can truly box! They make loud growling sounds like they are mean, but it is just part of their playing. They know who they can play this way with, and who they can't. They will not rough house with my wife of my 12-year old daughter.
    Boxers take about two years to get out of their puppy phase and start to settle down. During those first 2 - 2 1/2 years they become very efficient at landscape destruction and removal if you leave them unattended in your back yard for long periods of time. Our pups also liked to roam the casa and find things they think need shredding while we were away for the day! We solved that by crate training them. They now LOVE their crates. It is their own little retreat. All we have to do is say "Cages" as we are gettng ready to go and they trot into the room where their crates are and walk right into them. We often find them sound asleep in their crates when we are home. They're also lap dogs if you let them on your sofa with you.
    I'd say go for it! Boxers are great family dogs!

Tequila-John
    i HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD MALE. hE ROCKS BUD!

Roxysnow
    It's the perfect dog for family! Just alot of energy in them when young!

purrfecttremor
    We have a 10 mo. old brindle boxer and is very very good with kids even though ours are gown and gone.He is our 3rd boxer they all have been great family dogs.This is our 1st experiance crating a dog and has been a good one!BOXERS ROCK! Go for it you wont find a better breed.

socalmoney
    Why would you support a pet shop when there are so many unwanted pets out there for a lot less money?
    http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/available.htm
    You know if they dont get adopted they go to doggie haven.
    http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx
    I agree with purrfecttremor, crate training is the way to go.
    Don't mean to bring the thread down but I feel pretty strong about adoption, for animals anyway.

flatnfast
    once the puppy works the way out of any boxer it will be the best dog for you,
    I have a 6 year old female and a 2 year old male, i just recently brought in 2 girls i am adopting and they took to them as if they were always here, you wont be disappointed
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._and_billy.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...339billy-9.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/2339dook.JPG

Tom Brown
    I've worn boxers before but find they don't provide as much cupping as I prefer.

nyeti
    I have a 6 year old pure bred Boxer that comes from champion lines.......its a pet to me and by far the dumbest dog I have ever owned. She is also the sweetest thing in the world with my 4 year old daughter. As a family dog, they can't be beat. THey look mean, but are generally very sweet.
    Crate training is very important, it was great while it lasted.........If you leave town for a business trip and your wife lets the dog sleep in the bed while your are gone, just pack up the crate. They will not use it any longer.
    Mine hates Havasu, and hates the boat. Others have much better luck. She does love the dog park behind our condo, but every dog other than other Boxers don't appreciate getting the tar boxed out of them. Boxer's play rough with other dogs, but they are just playing. Ditto on all the growling and talking. Mine growls like she is killing you, and has the softest mouth in the world. They are also very stuborn in training. When we went to obedience school, the instructor warned the class about the Boxer in the class and that we would have to be patient. She graduated, barely.
    Be prepared to have a puppy forever. They slow down, but always have sort of a puppy like play drive, which is cool. I can't believe nobody mentioned the so excited to see you that they make a hair pin out of their bodies. They are just very good natured and happy. Mine was never particularly destructive in the yard, but loved flip flops. Overall, great family pets for an active family.

Kilrtoy
    I'll skip the stories.
    YES THEY ARE GREAT FAMILY(I.E. men, women, kids , YOUR KIDS) dogs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast