Thread: mynew project hallett.

hallettman
    Heres my new project i got about six monts ago or so. Just finally got around to working on it its a 76 hallett bubble deck from what i know.. Putting my berk jc and a bbf in it. Got it for a real good price too. Basically free.

hallettman
    shouldnt be too bad. this will be my third projet boat in the last 3 years guess only time will tell huh. thanks for reposting th pics too.

MudPumper
    Nice, you got a great boat to work with. Rides like no other V-Bottom i've ever been in and has the capability to push the century mark with the right set up. Here's mine. It's a 77 with BBF/ Berkeyl and original gel.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...w_Pics_007.jpg

Mr. Crusader 83
    Where did you get that boat?
    it looks like my old one?
    did it have a bbf in it?

hallettman
    bought it from a guy in mesa area , it did have i bbf in it before i bought it. i'll post pics as soon as i make more progress

hallettman
    any ideas on what i should do about the faded and chalky gel coat can i wet sand it after i peel up the peeling clear coat? should i re clear coat it ? or will it just peel again?

MudPumper
    any ideas on what i should do about the faded and chalky gel coat can i wet sand it after i peel up the peeling clear coat? should i re clear coat it ? or will it just peel again?
    That thing has original gel, it will come back to life with a color sand and buff. It will take some elbow grease but will come back to life. My boat was a disaster, been sitting outside for a while and sparkles like new after being buffed out.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...653Hallett.jpg

flat broke
    In looking at the pics, it actually looks like the clear paint someone shot over the gel make the gel look worse than it really is. I'd vote to first remove the crappy clear job, and then see where you stand by lightly color sanding the worst area of the boat. You have to be especially careful color sanding the flake areas as it's easy to go through to the metalflake. If it looks like "that $hit will buff out" then keep going. If not, I'd talk to someone about the possibility of lightly blocking the entire boat and shooting something like a Duratec clear topcoat.
    Chris

hallettman
    what grit paper should i start with and finish with before i buff out ?