Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Crackerbox builders or owners here?

DUCKY
    They are a 15 foot flatbottom , usually powered by very healthy small blocks. Engine is in the front and is direct drive right to the propshaft, driver sits in the back. The first ones were rum-running boats from the prohibition days. They are usually a bouncy bitch of a ride, but lots of fun. I did see one once with a blown alky BBC, that guy must have been INSANE!!!

FlatRacer
    Speaking of Crackers, Who has molds? Is Rick Wimer still building the glass WRAP hulls?
    When the APBA mandated cages in the JSS class, a bunch of skiff racers back here on the RIGHT coast who refused to strap themselves into a cage, considered getting together and placing a large order for Crackerbox hulls.
    Somehow the Crackerbox class has been imune to the capsule/cage disease. Perhaps it's because of their enviable record of never having a single fatality in the history of the class.
    I myself, fearing the coming of the capsules in flats, threw my name in as a potential customer as well.
    Sadly, it never happened. Too bad too, because I always loved the idea of a Crackerbox. In fact my first boat was a pint sized Cracker http://www.geocities.com/kool_toyz/yellowperil.html Although, one guy did take a trip out west, rented a box truck and brought home three used hulls. They're now used in an exhibition class in a local "outlaw" racing club. They're fun to watch in the rough east coast water!!!
    FR
    [ January 24, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

Stab-n-Steer
    FlatRacer,
    I don't know Rick Wimer, but I do know the Wrap hulls are still available. The molds are in So. California. Patterson is also making hulls. I've heard that you can get a new Patterson, mostly rigged, less engine, on a trailer for like $15K...
    Obviously, the capsule/cage deal would not be possible on a cracker. APBA has added a safety collar type device last year to keep the water from ripping your helmet off if you go in the drink... I guess this is what happened to Lance.
    Crackers are an exciting class. The problem with running a Cracker on a budget is that you need a high $$ motor. Since they are direct drive with no O.D. they spin the motors over 8 grand! A "budget" motor won't live very long. I've seen lots of guys try but they're usually on the trailer cleaning oil and shrapnel out of the bilge before the weekend is over.
    S&S

CircleJerk
    OK ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? My neighbor just finished his all aluminum cracker box! Powered by a destroked 454 coupled to a racing clutch! I'm not sure if he intends to race it, but come on! Anyone want to see this one bob like a cork? He says v-drives are a waste! Only in the Northwest I think......Ya we are a bunch of crazies.......JeRkiNhEiN smile_sp

GN117 Big Dawg
    Hi FlatRacer! I love those crackers too! I've crewed on the old "Zap" P-76 of Bob Clunes, and crewed and riden in P-27 " Pile Driver" with Robert Scherer. However I'm saddened to have to be the one to remind you and everyone else, that Dino Gorgeson lost his life at Long Beach Marine Stadium in Garland Privitt,s P-39. If my memory serves me, it was about 1996-7. It was the first loss of it's kind in the class' long and wonderful history. We were all deeply effected by Dino's untimely death, but continue to race in memory of him.

99P
    Topgun,
    My friend, Stab-n-Steer, talked me into posting on this forum. I race the 99P Crackerbox (Black-n-Blue)in N. California. I also have a wood-deck '78 Bob Warren Hurricane v-drive... Anyway, the "Cracker Wrapper" S&S mentioned is the newsletter of the Crackerbox Racing Club. Ron Morrison is publisher of the newsletter. He can be reached at rmorrison@pacifier.com. If you are planning to race your box, you can get current hull and engine specs from APBA. Currently, the only two engines approved for the class are 314 CUI/with 650 holley or a 275 CUI/with any carb/s on racing gas. Most 275's run webers... Blocks must be steel production blocks, heads, crank, cam, etc. are unlimited.
    Good luck with your project, please call me if you have any questions.
    99P

GofastRacer
    Hey 99P, does the "Crackerbox Racing Club" have a wab site??..

Crackerbox for sale

Hi All,
    I have built a crackerbox boat and have installed a Ford V-8 60 hp.
    Very traditional style old schoolconstruction.
    See listing on fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/22255042
    email spenance@rochester.rr.com if you or anybody you know is a buyer.
    thanks for your help, Spencer Jenkins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12