Thread: Noise laws

Snowboat
    Well, I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I caught myself poking around in the Sandbar. Here's what BigBoyToys wrote, and the link.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FYI, our soon to be ex-governor quietly signed AB1555 into law on September 24. That is the law that pertains to new noise limits on boats. In a nutshell, ALL boats must have mufflers and cannot exceed the following noise limits.
    654.05. (a) A person may not operate a motorized recreational
    vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that
    exceeds the following noise levels:
    (1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level
    of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
    recreational vessel.
    (2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and
    before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a
    distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
    (3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise
    level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
    recreational vessel.
    Better break out that ticket book now 'cause there ain't no way my boats are gonna meet those numbers......mufflers or no mufflers!
    http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultima...;f=15;t=007330
    Last year I (Snowboat) posted this.
    After a trip to Montana, which has bad noise laws, enforced where I was. I tried this test. Note, they require the measurement at three feet, ninety degrees from the exhaust outlet.
    All right, a topic that strikes close to home. I live in Wyoming and the laws require the use of some form of muffling, water in the headers will do. Of course the fisherman bitch, but who cares as long as you give them some space. Now Montana has become a different story. They expect 86 db, 90 degrees off of the end of the header at one meter, at idle. Pretty damn tough. They have some really nice spots but too many Granola chompers. So one must overcome the noise and try to make it sound like a thru transom Bayliner. Before I go on, what are the Rex Marine part numbers for ths mufflers you are using? Sounds like you are double rubbered, using two in each collector. Last summer I used the safety man's db meter and ran a few tests on a blown Biesemeyer with a .700 lift cam. Never got it to idle less than about 1,000 rpm. I had the meter 90 degreees from the outlet and one meter away. The Bassett slip ins were Rex # 126132, and the slip in silencers were #161100. Also used some flowmasters. Here is what I found. Nothing but a little water-95db @1050 rpm. Slipins #126132 were92 db @960 rpm. The #161100 were 92 @950 rpm. When I put the flowmasters on (oh yeah, double ugly) I got 85 to 85 with either style installed, in addition the slip ins @950 to 1100 rpm. There were two mufflers for each collector, a slip in and a flowmaster. Now this is pretty strict. We're tallking three feet away at idle. Also it you put 45' tips on and point them up, rather than down, it works pretty well. What with banning two strokes, jet boats, pwc, and trying to make stuff sound like a 4.3 IO, I'd be curious to see what others have found.
    http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=8;t=000190
    Think this new law is the end of OT's or will Arnold repeal it? Will flats be outlaws? PS, I think I meant 85 to 86, rather than 85 to 85.
    [ October 14, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Snowboat ]

BigBoyToys
    Snowboat, according to Alan (Boatcop) the actual decibels didn't change. What changed is how it is measured. And, it doesn't go into effect for a few years. Not sure I understand the differences in measuring and decibels, but I know that V-drives are loud I'm not worried about it. If I ever get a ticket for noise I'll address it at that time. Until then....Boat On!!!

burbanite

1st Timer
    BigBoyToys:
    Snowboat, according to Alan (Boatcop) the actual decibels didn't change. What changed is how it is measured. And, it doesn't go into effect for a few years. Not sure I understand the differences in measuring and decibels, but I know that V-drives are loud I'm not worried about it. If I ever get a ticket for noise I'll address it at that time. Until then....Boat On!!! BBT your such a Fracken Idiot. Noise of the motor has nothing to do with a Vdrive. They don't do noise levels on your gear box. Maybe on the one's you build and your right you shouldn't have to worry about it your Boats are either to slow, broke and on the trailer or both. Besides youll never have a motor that will wake anyone up....

Lookin for Liquid
    1st Timer:
    BigBoyToys:
    Snowboat, according to Alan (Boatcop) the actual decibels didn't change. What changed is how it is measured. And, it doesn't go into effect for a few years. Not sure I understand the differences in measuring and decibels, but I know that V-drives are loud I'm not worried about it. If I ever get a ticket for noise I'll address it at that time. Until then....Boat On!!! BBT your such a Fracken Idiot. Noise of the motor has nothing to do with a Vdrive. They don't do noise levels on your gear box. Maybe on the one's you build and your right you shouldn't have to worry about it your Boats are either to slow, broke and on the trailer or both. Besides youll never have a motor that will wake anyone up.... WOW!

DansBlown73Nordic
    Ummmm I think we all can tell who the IDIOT is.....Your Avatar pretty much gives it away.... wink
    What he was saying is V-Drive type boats are loud. O/T headers, Flattys and such....Get it CLOWN?