Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impeller change or inducer?

sstjet
    I have a sleekcraft sst with american turbine and 427 chevy blower motor. The pump has a B impeller, loader grate, ride plate, droop, and diverter. My problem is that that the boat has a terrible hole shot. It cavitates the pump If more than half throttle is applied. It runs good up top, but I belive 6000 rpm maybe a little too fast engine speed. My question is sould I change to an A impeller or run an inducer with the B impeller?

Placecraft Dragstar
    I Use To Have A Sst With A 496 In It. It Would Run 94.6 Mph At 6000 Rpm On Gps, I Had An A Impeller With An Inducer. Nice Riding Boat.

HotRod Sprint
    Here's the deal, doing either will accomplish what you want to do, get a better hole shot. If you are really concerned about the 6 grand on the tach, (which for a well built motor isn't unreasonable) then I would change the impeller to an A. It will give you a better hole shot and most likely drop your engine rpm down to about 5600 (just a w.a.g. to many other factors to really know for sure). But you will also most likely lose top end speed with the impeller change. On the other hand, if the motor is well built, 6 grand shouldn't be bad on it and an inducer would give you a better hole shot without taking away from top end speed. My 2 cents.
    Rod

Duane HTP
    Put the inducer in. A BBC runs it's best in a jet boat from 6100 to 6300 RPM. They love it there.

pce680
    If you run a A impellor,you won't need a inducer and it will be easy on the motor.

sstjet
    From my understanding isn't the Idea behind going fast to turn the biggest impeller as fast as you can, because it moves the most water. Again I am not that well experienced with modding jet drives.

Jeanyus
    Going to a B impeller is one of the best moves I made on my setup. I have one of the best holeshots on the lake. If your pump cavitates, you have other issues, wear ring, loader etc. I have a 427 with carbs, it loves the rpms.

Rondane
    Going to a B impeller is one of the best moves I made on my setup. I have one of the best holeshots on the lake. If your pump cavitates, you have other issues, wear ring, loader etc. I have a 427 with carbs, it loves the rpms.
    Put a BLOWER on your boat and see how your holeshot diminishes. A 427 is a small motor in todays world and needs a B impeller. With a blower he could run the A and be much happier. Requires less work to try at first rather than pulling the shaft to have the inducer installed. My $.02.
    rondane

Wicked Performance Boats
    Put the inducer in. A BBC runs it's best in a jet boat from 6100 to 6300 RPM. They love it there.
    I agree with Duane here. Any good internally balanced BBC performs well to 6500rpms with a good build. Budlight ps. Do you have a stainless impeller?

Jeanyus
    Put a BLOWER on your boat and see how your holeshot diminishes. A 427 is a small motor in todays world and needs a B impeller. With a blower he could run the A and be much happier. Requires less work to try at first rather than pulling the shaft to have the inducer installed. My $.02.
    rondane
    If I put a blower on my 427 it would make my hole shot even better. A pump that is set up correctly should not cavitate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast