Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass vs. Gunite pools

TCN
    Has anybody had to make this choice and if so why did you choose the way you did. We are getting similar quotes for each type but want to make the right choice. Also, does anybody have any experience dealing with the city about getting a gas line brought to the house from either next door or across the street? We were never given the option when we bought our house but our neighbors have it and I have heard conflicting stories about the city doing it for free to a certain point or fee's that are involved. Thanks in advance. Nick

lakewake
    Screw the gas and go with solar heating unless you are putting in a hot tub .

TCN
    Screw the gas and go with solar heating unless you are putting in a hot tub .
    We are doing a pool/jacuzzi combo.

Mr. Crusader 83
    my parents put a pool in at the house in havasu. they used gunite. not sure why. i think they were told that it last longer.

Sanger D
    gunite is good for building odd shaped custom pools but if you find the shape and color of a glass tub then buy it!!!!!I've built pools for over 20 years and glass is cheaper tomaintain,less chemicals,glass does'nt grow most algaes.no replastering and tile repair is easier and cheaper.If you spend alot of time in it ,youll see that the gless pool will not tear your feet up like gunite.You just need to find a good installer,they are wayyy cheaper to install,the dealer will work with you if you act like you already know that glass pools go in faster and cheaper to build,they are not the same cost to install.hope this helps..............................San Juan builds a good tub.

my parents had a glass pool in their house. when we moved to the valley we had a gunite pool put in our house i had forgotten about the glass pools. if i could redo it i would go glass. easier to maintain.

SHOTKALLIN
    i never knew about glass pools being a good thing??? I thought they were a step above a doughboy??? who knew?

Mrs 2LKHVSU
    We have found that we enjoy friends pools made of fiberglass OR gunite both the same. Thanks for asking, we hope this information will help you decide.

jbone
    We had the fiberglass pool when I was a kid. Like said, it was very easy to mantain the chemicals. All I ever had to add was chlorine. Nothing else. Something about the pool being a neutral ph. The pool is now 26 years old
    with no problems.
    I would do a fiberglass again. It think they are a lot cheaper too.
    J

TCN
    Thanks everyone. Fiberglass it is. Nick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast