Thread: What HP can a Sunkist Texas tunnel style jet handle?

Jspeeddemon
    I am reworking a 1982 Sunkist Texas tunnel style jet that had a 468 BBC approximately 500 HP. I am considering a blower motor for this boat this spring. Can I have some feedback from anyone who has built and or driven one of these style boats with 800-1000 HP, maybe seen one of these boats race. I have driven this boat 80 mph and it rode well, wondering how fast I can safely ride this hull?

RICHARD TILL
    i dont know just exactly what boat you`ve got but i can tell you about an earl smith texas tunnel hull. got 3 of them. 2 running and 1 wrecked. 11 sec and 10 sec. boats. they weigh about 275 lbs. each. i think they are one of if not the fastest, quickest hulls made. (but not the safest) i see some people running them in the 9 sec. class and they have to have big gonads. a center steered is safer. it will pitch your a$$ b4 you know what happened. you`ve got to be in good water and ease out of it carefully. i`m not trying to be the grim reaper, just saying be careful.

ONAROLL
    I rebuilt a Mantra tunnel last winter (real similar to your Sunkist) 472 w/ around 500+hp, 350lb hull, was a little wary of it by reputation but pounded it hard all summer, I love it.........521 w/nos around 800hp is almost ready to go for next year, as stated, dont get out of the throttle quick or your gettin wet........mine ran 127mph blown with previous owner, ............Vic :crossx:

Nucking futs
    mine ran 127mph blown with previous owner, ............Vic :crossx:
    What did the previous owner have for an engine?

ONAROLL
    What did the previous owner have for an engine?
    Big Chebbie, Trent Stogsdill has it now, I think its going in a Canyon Flat....Vic

promod
    I am reworking a 1982 Sunkist Texas tunnel style jet that had a 468 BBC approximately 500 HP. I am considering a blower motor for this boat this spring. Can I have some feedback from anyone who has built and or driven one of these style boats with 800-1000 HP, maybe seen one of these boats race. I have driven this boat 80 mph and it rode well, wondering how fast I can safely ride this hull?
    hey j i have the same boat with a alky motor around 1100-1200 hp make sure you have the set up right, go blown you won't go back, if i can help just hollar

GasGuzzler
    I hope if you are looking at speeds over the 80's, you will consider good safety items like a jet a way and pop off valve, cause any of them can pitch ya on your head http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...boat_wreck.JPG

Jspeeddemon
    I bought the boat with a 468 BBC approximately 500 hp and it ran well. I was considering to switch it over to a center steer boat. I am planning on a starting with 600 hp and going from there. I would guesstimate the hull to weigh @ 350 lbs, with intake grate in and pump out, from lifting around on it yesterday.