Thread: Impeller shaft removal

When removing the Impeller shaft from a Berk pump,does the impeller have to be removed first and then slid out with the thrust bearing still pressed on,or does it come out towards the impeller side.
    I read through the berk manuel but am confused as to which direction it should be removed..Thank's ...Hal

Cheap Thrills
    On my pump the shaft can be removed either way. If you're wanting to keep from removing the impeller , look for and remove the retainer clip in front of thrust bearing and slide the shaft rearward.
    Have fun.
    C.T. :wink:

I did remove the retainer clip from the shaft on the bearing side,but it does'nt just slide out.The Berk manual says that the bearing is pressed on.I did givit a couple of taps with a dead blow and it did'nt move .Thats when i stopped to ask the question..Hal

Aduner2
    The thrust bearing is pressed onto the shaft. Remove impellar and slide the shaft out in the other direction. A hydrualic press makes bearing removal/installation quick. Hammering on the bearing should be avoided.

El Prosecutor
    Here is a link to American Turbine's online rebuild manual (.pdf) for Berk pumps. Color photos and well written. Makes it real easy.
    AT's Berk Rebuild Manual (http://www.americanturbine.com/downl..._oh_manual.pdf)
    Also, let's just say there is more than one way to remove a pressed on bearing:
    The cowboy way (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...hlight=redneck)

Cheap Thrills
    I did remove the retainer clip from the shaft on the bearing side,but it does'nt just slide out.The Berk manual says that the bearing is pressed on.I did givit a couple of taps with a dead blow and it did'nt move .Thats when i stopped to ask the question..Hal
    If you're replacing the thrust bearing it wont matter if you smack it a few times :rollside:
    I had to remove mine that way because the impeller was so corroded to the shaft that the puller wouldnt budge it. Once I got the shaft out I used a little heat and a Hydraulic press to remove the impeller and install the new thrust bearing. Avoid putting pressure on the outer ring of the bearing , that will cause the balls to dimple and will result in premature bearing failure.
    Have Fun.
    C.T. :wink:

502 JET
    Remove the impeller.Remove the thrust bearing retainer cap.Remove the packing followers.With a dead blow hammer or block of wood (support the shaft reaching through the hand hole) drive the shaft out toward the engine.
    You may have to heat or cut the impeller nut to remove it.You need a puller to remove the impeller and you may need to heat the impeller to pull it off.

I GOT IT OUT! Once the impeller was off the shaft came out fairly easy,towards the engine end of the pump.
    Thank,s to all You Guy,s for responding.....Hal