Thread: External Steering

tbanzer
    Im looking at a boat that is currently equipped with standard steering. Since the boat was originally bought a procharger has been added. Because of the added speed I have been told it should be equipped with external steering. Is it a fairly straight forward installation and swap. It looks like about $3k for the external steeering kits. What dictates the need to go from single to dual external steering?

BrendellaJet
    Speed is the main criteria. Someone will chime in with the right figure. I beleive it is around 80 or so, +/- 10!

TIMINATOR
    80 is about right, depending on the hull and application. Single will work to 100 or so depending on use, rougher water,double ram. Tell us more about the app. and we can help more. TIMINATOR

tbanzer
    ttt

sleek willy
    Does your steering work now??? Mine was way bad, lots of play. At 75+ any wave I hit moved the drive and made it try to nose in. With full hydraulic everythings cool.
    If it scares you, definetly redo the steering.
    -Sleek Willy

HP350SC
    Im looking at a boat that is currently equipped with standard steering. Since the boat was originally bought a procharger has been added. Because of the added speed I have been told it should be equipped with external steering. Is it a fairly straight forward installation and swap. It looks like about $3k for the external steeering kits. What dictates the need to go from single to dual external steering?
    As far as the installation, I did mine myself and it was pretty straightforward. The WPM kit comes with braided hoses with the ends already crimped. I believe the IMCO ones do not. Only problem I had with the dual ram setup was very little assist at idle/docking. Someone posted about drilling the pressure fitting at the pump, so I did that and problem solved.