Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The land 1/4 mile et and speed record

Unchained
    While browsing the web I found this hydrogen peroxide rocket car. I seen a couple run back in the 70's. They were notorious for the rocket thrust blowing the asphalt off the track surface. I don't know how they got it slowed down in time at the end of the track. I ones I seen never ran the full 1/4 mile and still went over 300 mph.
    http://www.the-rocketman.com/images/kittycar.jpg

T-56
    Two words.....
    ......in sane.
    I wouldn't get out of the electric chair for a ride in that thing.
    Didn't the "Time Machine" go out the back door at Indy back around 1970?

T-56
    BTW, I remember seeing this idiot on Discovery Wings Channel a few years back...
    http://www.46tg.af.mil/Stapp_50_Aniv.htm

ONAROLL
    Unchained,
    So how would I go about injecting hydrogen peroxide,whats the catalyst?...hell, if a girl figured it out surely we can patch something together..........lol......Vic

WannabeRacing
    Sammy Miller went 3.58 at 386mph in the quarter mile with a trans am. Same deal. Hydrogen Peroxide.
    Basically, when a pure form of hyrdogen peroxide hits a certain temerature, it will turn into gas and expand enourmous amounts its original volume. So to over simplify, they would take a hot plate at an angle, and inject hydorgen peroxide on the plate, and then adjust the thrust out the back of the car. That is how they ran.
    Most were very feared of them, and had them so they would run out of fuel at about the 1/8 mile, where drivers would be very near passing out. Some would run them a little further. Some cars had the chutes deploy on a timer, so if they could not reach, the chutes would still work.
    Interesting and dangerous stuff.

Unchained
    Unchained,
    So how would I go about injecting hydrogen peroxide,whats the catalyst?...hell, if a girl figured it out surely we can patch something together..........lol......Vic
    I'm trying to figure out what she used in place of balls when it came time to hit the go button.
    I read up on it a little and it seems they used some kind of a silver mesh screen as a catalyst.

ECeptor
    I'm trying to figure out what she used in place of balls when it came time to hit the go button.
    I read up on it a little and it seems they used some kind of a silver mesh screen as a catalyst.
    Hydrogen peroxide rockets have the highest power density (power per lb) of any engine. Picture a 5 gallon bucket. Tap a hole in the middle of the bottom and force nearly pure (+90% vs 3% you buy at Walmart) hydrogen peroxide into the bottom via a spray type nozzel. Then put an iridium mesh near the bottom on the inside. This is the catalyst. When the H2O2 hit the iridium it separates in to H2 gas and O2 gas + heat. The heat sustains the burn. Then it recombines into H2O plus huge heat - i.e. steam. Plus you are left with some spare O2. Just put a ring of injectors around the base of the 5 gallon bucket and inject some kerosine for your afterburners.
    Dead simple, high powered. No clue on efficiency.
    Someone here should build one and put it in to a Hondo or something like that. :crossx:

Blown 472
    Hydrogen peroxide rockets have the highest power density (power per lb) of any engine. Picture a 5 gallon bucket. Tap a hole in the middle of the bottom and force nearly pure (+90% vs 3% you buy at Walmart) hydrogen peroxide into the bottom via a spray type nozzel. Then put an iridium mesh near the bottom on the inside. This is the catalyst. When the H2O2 hit the iridium it separates in to H2 gas and O2 gas + heat. The heat sustains the burn. Then it recombines into H2O plus huge heat - i.e. steam. Plus you are left with some spare O2. Just put a ring of injectors around the base of the 5 gallon bucket and inject some kerosine for your afterburners.
    Dead simple, high powered. No clue on efficiency.
    Someone here should build one and put it in to a Hondo or something like that. :crossx:
    You cant get the percentage of pure peroxide to do that since the gubment outlawed anything over I think 10 or 15 percent pure.

ECeptor
    You cant get the percentage of pure peroxide to do that since the gubment outlawed anything over I think 10 or 15 percent pure.
    You meant to say "can't LEGALLY get it" I think... :crossx:

Carnivalride
    Any particular reason you picked a "Hondo" for this comment? How about a certain 24' Villan that needs a little more umpf according to the owner? :crossx: :crossx:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast