Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The land 1/4 mile et and speed record

Fast Freddy
    the vid that i have has an interview with Hal Needham and Stan Barret on it. they said that they tested the car with its main rocket engine up to a speed of 650 mph and thats all that it had in it. so they added a sidewinder missile to the setup and fired that off when the car hit its top speed of 650 mph and the car pulled another 1G of acceleration and hit a top speed of 760 mph on their timing equipment. the FIA won't recognize this as an official speed record because they did not use their epuipment. but even chuck yeager endorses the budwieser rocket car as bein the 1st car ever to break the sound barrier. thats on the vid too. this vid i have is from the history channel.

Marty Gras
    Yes, you are correct in that the TV show stated those facts, however the car was tested WITHOUT any added power, PRIOR to other sponsors coming on board. (3 weeks of runs) What actually happened, and 'what was paid for' are two different things. Bill Fredricks did build the car to break the sound barrier WITHOUT POWER ADDERS. It did "run the number" more than one time prior to the 'new sponsor' coming on board. The car had a limited number of "powered seconds", fuel VS weight. (not what Bill had in mind) Hal was so confident in Bill's work, that he used Bill's 'rocket power' to build a "stunt car" for the movie "Hooper". When Hooper and "Ski" jump the broken bridge, the photo cuts to a fiberglass bodied tube chassis car that is rocket powered. The "stunt car" is out on the Mojave desert, jumping a (record) long distance, and then 'cut into' the movie. The "new sponsor" for the rocket car project was looking for an ACTION packed way to get the US military to look at it's "missle powerplant", and the "Budweiser Rocket Car" project really needed the CASH. Bill, Hal and Stan did the job, and then needed CASH rewrote their story. There's life, and then there's TV!

Fast Freddy
    Marty Gras - no matter how you slice it that budweiser rocket car had some serious acceleration goin on! especially when he fired that sidewinder missile off at 650 mph!! it looked like an afterburner kickin in on a jet, i mean the thing just took off!!! i can't imagine what the acceleration must be like in a hydrogen peroxide car? that must just be out of this world. i bet you leave your stomach on the starting line and don't get it back until the next day, lol
    as far as the rocket sled test at holloman air force base with John Stapp is concerned yes he does hold the G-load record at 46.2 g's but i don't think his sled out accelerated kittys car from 0-412 mph which was 3.22 seconds. colonel Stapp accelerated from 0-632 mph in about 5 seconds. so her rate of acceleration was ever so slightly a lil bit quicker. also his record of 46.2 g's was attained when he hit the water brake and came to a stop from a speed of 632 mph in 1.4 seconds in a mere 690 feet!!! one thing is for sure colonel Stapp most definately holds the deccelaration record.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Any particular reason you picked a "Hondo" for this comment? How about a certain 24' Villan that needs a little more umpf according to the owner? :crossx: :crossx:
    I think that would work equally well.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Anyone want to run 250mph in the quarter mile in under 5 sec in a go kart??? :220v: :220v:
    I believe testing this is a job for ....... The Busby Clan. :idea:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123