Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batteries??

OutCole'd
    Question. My batteries are 2 years old, and after two seasons are junk and i'm getting ready to replace them. They are standard Intersate wet cell batteries.
    Do the gell batteries last any longer? If I switch to these, I am going to need new battery boxes, right? How often are you replacing the gell batteries?
    I only have two batteries, but I do not hang at the sand bar with the stereo cranked for 8 hours and they have never been a problem.

gmocnik
    bill...
    i am sure you will get all sorts of response to this question, so heres my two cents....trust me, thats all its worth....
    whether they need it or not, i replace my batteries every two years...batteries usually fail catastrophicaly and at the worst possible time so it's just good insurance. i only have two also. i use an intersate deep cycle ($80) and a west marine 1000 "starting" battery ($90). have had great luck with both of those...
    now all the guys with 26 6 volt and 14 optima blue /yellow/pink tops with billitt battery boxes (made from a "splashed" design) all run in series/parrallel with the 2000 watt honda generators can chime in....
    gm

Phat Matt
    bill...
    i am sure you will get all sorts of response to this question, so heres my two cents....trust me, thats all its worth....
    whether they need it or not, i replace my batteries every two years...batteries usually fail catastrophicaly and at the worst possible time so it's just good insurance. i only have two also. i use an intersate deep cycle ($80) and a west marine 1000 "starting" battery ($90). have had great luck with both of those...
    now all the guys with 26 6 volt and 14 optima blue /yellow/pink tops with billitt battery boxes (made from a "splashed" design) all run in series/parrallel with the 2000 watt honda generators can chime in....
    gm
    ok

Stoneman
    I have to talk to the wife, she is the battery expert. Will get back to you! :rollside:

Phat Matt
    Hey Bill, I was thinking, this weekend when you are working on the boat you should put some molding on it to make it a little different than the others.

Phat Matt
    To answer your question, I have always used Optimas. If you keep them topped off and maintained you should get more than two years out of them.

Tom Brown
    The Optima in my car is 8 years old. Even at 40 degrees below zero, it hits the starter as hard as I remember it cranking when the battery was new.
    I think an AGM battery will last a bit longer than a wet cell as long as your regulator is working properly and you don't cook it with too much voltage. With an AGM, there is no way to replenish the water if you boil it off.
    ... so I think the Optima is an excellent choice. Walmart sells them at a great price. It would be tough to go wrong.
    If you want more power and are willing to spend a little more, Odyssey makes a large format AGM battery that has a lot of power. It would probably make for a cleaner install than a bunch of Optimas or other small batteries. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of power reserve, though.
    I run a single red top Optima in my boat. It's just a cranking battery. It's a few years old and I assume it will put in another decade or more before it needs refreshing.
    - Tom

OutCole'd
    Hey Bill, I was thinking, this weekend when you are working on the boat you should put some molding on it to make it a little different than the others.
    Are you making fun of me because I put that Oak hardwood flooring in my boat?

Tom Brown
    Here are some quotes from this battery FAQ. (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...%20Glass%20Mat %20Batteries)
    "A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates."
    "Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost."
    "AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features."

BigBlockBaja
    Im running an Optima Yellow Top in my truck and had the strereo on for hours, Jl500 amp and mtx 2oowatt, Truck fired right up no problems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast