Thread: Mystery Holly

TollyWally
    Hello All,
    I'm probably not your typical member. I am a commercial fisherman in Alaska and winter in Puget Sound where I fool around in an old Tollycraft cabin cruiser. BUT... I have a big block chevy with Volvo marinization and I figured this is the place where knowledgable motor heads hang out.
    So take pity on a slow boat dude and help me out here.
    I have a Holley carb model 4011 list # R 84026-1 year code 2729
    It is a spread bore carb with vacuum secondaries. I can't find a specific reference to that particular carb anywhere. I sure would like to know what I have.
    Now I mostly run this boat slow- up to 2800-3000 rpms or so. I have a fuel flow meter and am running 10-12 gallons per hour.
    When I open up the secondaries the boat runs strong up to redline but the secondaries stick open and idle won't drop below 1200-1500 rpm. I have to kill the motor to get the secondaries to close.
    I idle the boat alot fishing and it fouls out. I just got a set of plugs in the next hotter range and plan to run it hard for a bit and see how the plugs look. If they look ok I'm going to try them running slow and see if that helps my fouling problem.
    Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    TollyWally

Floored
    It is a newer style spreadbore holley. Most likely a 650. Possible loading up at idle from high float level or need a new needle and seat to close completely just due to age or contamination.http://www.holley.com/TechService/ If you go to the holley tech page you can send in a request for info on your particular carb for jetting and float levels or buy a genuine holley renew kit and just freshen it up.

TollyWally
    Thanks Floored for the input.

Havasu47
    It is a 650 Marine carb. Renew kit p/n #3-1447
    Completely rebuild it and get all the corrosion. I would definitely replace the power valves (i am pretty sure this carb has one in the primaries and secondaries) Probably the cause of the loading up at idle. The secondaries not returning to idle should be solved with a proper rebuild. The carb should be kept lubed with something like WD-40 when used in salty air conditions.