Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall Craft Power?

TRIMMIN
    I have a '72 Biesemeyer 16.5 with a Hall Craft gear box. We are building a full roller 383 stroker for it now. What kind of power can this box handle? Also does anyone know any history on this boat? Bob at Glenwood remembers it to have started life as a direct drive. Thanks

Mr. V-Driver
    Maybe 350hp Max. The later style Menkens handles more power thanks to Tom's ability to neck down the shafts to accept Casale Gears. The Billet Menkens cases work as well, and you could always drop a Casale split case in there and never worry about a horsepower issue! As you go up in hp you should go up in size on your shafts. 1" to 1 1/8" output.
    Good Luck on Project!!!

dmontzsta
    I had a Hall Craft box in a Mandella I sold. That was the most puniest looking box I have ever seen.

fc-pilot
    Give Tom at Menkins v-drives a call. He will be able to give you valid info on what you have and itÂ’s potential.
    Paul

steveo143
    I have a 12* casale with 18 gears that would drop right in.

fc-pilot
    Trimmin, I sent you a PM.
    Paul

DUCKY
    I had a Hall-Craft in my first boat (a 1960 Biesemeyer). If I remember correctly, it had 1 3/8" 10 spline shafts which should be able to handle virtually any small block out there. My boat came equipped with a tri-power 409 that was replaced by a fairly wicked 383. Hardest part will be getting gears in it, and that's where Tom might come in handy. Obviously a Casale Split Case is the way to go if you are throwing big power at it.

Kindsvater Flat
    10* straight cut with 19 gears. Works fine for me. Been changed gears from a set of 12's a couple of years ago. Had bearings once back in 1980.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/440/new/a2.JPG

MWJSOne
    Depending on the Box it self Tom from Menkins v-drives was buying the hall crafts V drives and mod ding them pretty tuff box for a De rect drive.

napabob
    Tom Menkens web site:
    http://www.menkensvdrives.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast