Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coated Bearings Anti Friction

Infomaniac
    Just thought I would show what I am having done to these components in every engine. Have contracted with this company to do them for us.
    It is not a coating in the typical fashion. This PROCESS bonds with the metal and is only 1/2 micron thick. It does not change the dimension of the component. It will not come off unless the metal comes off.
    Great stuff and very reasonable. They will not disclose how it is applied or EXACTLY what it is other than a tungsten disulfide.
    I selected these parts because they have been proven to help in other engines. Have not decided to do pistons. But every little bit helps.
    http://moritzmachine.com/coated.jpg

Infomaniac
    Here is a closer view. Puts a blueish tint to the parts.
    Can be applied to ANY material. Does not have to be metal.
    http://moritzmachine.com/coatedclose.jpg

Blown 472
    What does it do for the valves and brgs?

Infomaniac
    It makes anything metal to metal last longer.
    We put it on our tooling. Mills inserts etc and they last 3 -5 times longer.
    It even improves airflow. It has been put of golf balls and they go twice as far when hit by a golf machine.

Blown 472
    It makes anything metal to metal last longer.
    We put it on our tooling. Mills inserts etc and they last 3 -5 times longer.
    It even improves airflow. It has been put of golf balls and they go twice as far when hit by a golf machine.
    Is this something you can do for everyone? What does it cost?

Infomaniac
    Yea it's $225.00 for everything in the picture.
    It's not a spam thread. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

squirt
    Used to use that process all the time in bearings for feedthrus used in vacuum applications. We used it because it would not contaminate the systems or processes like most lubricants would, and the load on bearings in vacuum is quite high. I've looked into the process of this coating a few times, due to some quality problems. I know of 1 shop that sprays it and another thats a bath solution. Either way the life cycle testing that I've done on them shows both processes last longer that an uncoated bearing, with the bath solution lasting the longest. With that being said greased bearings lasted the longest in my tests.

Infomaniac
    Used to use that process all the time in bearings for feedthrus used in vacuum applications. We used it because it would not contaminate the systems or processes like most lubricants would, and the load on bearings in vacuum is quite high. I've looked into the process of this coating a few times, due to some quality problems. I know of 1 shop that sprays it and another thats a bath solution. Either way the life cycle testing that I've done on them shows both processes last longer that an uncoated bearing, with the bath solution lasting the longest. With that being said greased bearings lasted the longest in my tests.
    Thats interesting. I'm sure it was a similar process but this one was strictly military until just recently. I have known about it for a number of years but it was 100.00 per square inch back then.. :supp: :supp:
    Recently changed ownership. We took some swiss skateboard bearings, cleaned the lube from them and had them done. They are fast as hell running dry. There are only 6 people in the world that know how this particular process is done.
    It was actually developed to lubricate where petroleum lubricants cannot be used.

squirt
    I can't remember how it's spelled but I think it's called dicronite. THe company or " process " was sold about 4 or 5 years ago I think. I could get either moly or tungsten disulfide done by a co in Washington state. Most of the stuff we built was used in our national labs for enegry research.

wsuwrhr
    DLC?
    Diamond like coating?
    Is that what it is?
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast