Thread: Braking- Non Boat Realted

Wet Dream
    If you have a car that has a front (passenger side) caliper hanging up and just change out the caliper and new pads on both sides, why would the drivers side now lock up under heavy braking? I'm guessing that the rotor on the P side may have been affected by glazing of the pads? Ideas?

Infomaniac
    If you have a car that has a front (passenger side) caliper hanging up and just change out the caliper and new pads on both sides, why would the drivers side now lock up under heavy braking? I'm guessing that the rotor on the P side may have been affected by glazing of the pads? Ideas?
    Dude the brake hose is deteriorated and is trapping pressure.
    Happens all the time on late model vehicles. Starts showing up as one side wearing faster than the other. They don't like the heat.
    Change the hoses and your good to go.

Wet Dream
    No shit? How does that happen? Does the hose become stiffer than the other and not expand as much? You've really got my interest in this relpy.

Infomaniac
    They get trash inside and blocks the passage way for the fluid.
    It will go fine in the direction pushing it under pressure but not allow it to return. So the caliper holds some pressure or in extreme cases does not let it off at all. Or lets it off slow etc.
    It is much cheaper than replacing calipers. Even as a throwing parts at it troubleshooting.

Wet Dream
    I can understand that theory, but the P side was the one hanging up. Now its the D side thats locking up before the P side. I'm thinking the rotor temp had something to do with it. I'm all ears on this one.

1) Bad idea to just change one caliper. The one you didn't change was just as old and may have been almost as bad as the one you did change.
    2) If you over heated the rotor , or rotors, they should both have been resurfaced. Really should resurface rotors every brake job if you want to get best performance and maximum brake pad life.
    3) It's always possible that the reman caliper doesn't match the old one in terms of piston diameter.
    4) If the vehicle has a lot of miles you should consider replacing the brake hoses as Info suggested. They do tend to become restricted inside. If the outside looks at all perished, they should be replaced.

tbanzer
    Most brake hoses have a mounting bracket that is crimped on the hose. Over time rust developes between the bracket and the hose. When the rust on the bracket swells it squeezes the hose untill it takes a great amount of pressure to pass fluid through the restricted hose. Also over time the rubber swells both internally and externally causing it to be squeezed at the crimps. I have seen it happen on hydraulic clutch hoses as well. I know of a guy the replaced the clutch , master and slave cylinders multiple times before he called me and when I told him it probably was the hose he flipped out. It was the hose lol. See it alot in the nothern climates

jkh04200
    Hey wet dream.
    Been ther done that. Change the hoses. Cheap simple to do. I was told they are actually a hose in a hose. Pressure goes through the middle and returns on the outside. Not sure if thats true. But, if you have a few miles on it changing the hoses is just good maintenance after about 4-5 yrs.