Thread: thermostat housing for 460

millerman
    just bought a performance dist. hei distributor for my 1978 miller, 460 ford. the dist. doesn't clear the current thermostat housing. anyone know where i can get a low profile housing, or something that can relocate it?

1fastlx
    had the same problem, my 460 has a performer intake so I just made a blockoff plate for the tstat housing and plumbed my hoses into the 2 threaded locations in front of the intake. been workin all summer with no problems. ps the HEI works great hope this helps

millerman
    looks like i may need to get a new intake manifold. damn it.... did you gap your plugs all the way out to .055? appreciate it. thanks

1fastlx
    yes, regaped them to 55 what intake do you have now?? even the stocker should have a couple of plugs in it if not drill and tap time. would stay in the front of the intake though

ONAROLL
    Get a piece of 3/8ths aluminum use your thermostat gasket for a pattern, make a flat block off plate and drill and tap a 1/2 inch pipe thread into the plate a little off center (to the left facing the engine) thread in a 1/2 elbow and attach your dump line, it will clear your distributor and cleans up the plumbing a little...............Vic

millerman
    that sounds like it might work. i was about to go out and start sanding down that water outlet. christ..... i have a regular dual plane intake manifold. the only place to maybe put a hose is at the water temp sender. i think i might try that aluminum block off plate. thanks

millerman
    onaroll, did that 3/8" plate. working great. thanks for the advice

ONAROLL
    no problem.........Vic