Thread: Stringer Rot

MJS
    In about a week or so I`m going to pull the motor out of my 72Taylor V-Drive. I`m replacing one of my Stringers. Just wanted to know,How much of a pain in the Ass it is or is it rather simple.
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE

superdave013
    A good web site to talk fiberglass stuff is havasubarney.com
    Barney has an entier fourm just for that. He knows his stuff and does not mind sharing info with others.

MJS
    Hey Thanks SuperDave
    I`ll try that site out. But if anybody`s try it let me know. I like trying new things out.I can only screw it up.If that happens,Hell I just have to start over.
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE

WILDERTHANU54
    I HAD A 1978 MAKO RUNNERBOTTOM RE-GLASSED. IT WAS MY FIRST BOAT. I DIDN'T HAVE TO REPLACE A STRINGER, BUT LAYED A TOTALLY NEW FLOOR AND DID CUSTOM COLORS INSIDE THE FLOOR IN GEL COAT. LOOKED ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. IT'S MAJOR SURGERY I THINK! ! MY FLOOR COST ME $3,500 ! ! !
    GEOFF

DaveA
    Stringers ain't no fun to replace.
    Where is the rot, and to what extent is it bad? All the way thru to the bottom?
    Is it a Douglas fir or worse- pine stringer, or can you tell?
    Do you have delamination in any other area of the hull around the stringer in question, or is it just where the engine mounts attached?
    Is the engine mount a bolt-thru affair with the 'feet' like a Nicson system, or is it on rails?
    It may be much easier and less expensive to splice the stringer than take the whole thing out. Would only do it with epoxy, too.
    FWIW, Barney would need the same info, and could give you a very detailed answer from his experience. Definitely post over there and get him thinking about it too.
    Do you have a digital camera to show us what you're up against?
    I used to live in Wichita; went to KCK, Lawrence, and Olathe alot. Loved the Flint Hills, BTW.
    Dave