Thread: Drain plug O-rings

Beer-30
    For those of you who service your own outdrives, I found a little trick. I am probably the last to figure this out, but here goes.
    After re-filling the drive after the transom issue, the drain plug kept dripping. The little paper gasket had given it's last seal. Instead of getting new paper ones, I got some O-rings from the hardware store that are the same size as the plug.
    I think they are just shy of 3/8" and they are 1/16" thick. I took a 3/8" coarse bolt down with me and got ones that fit it snugly. I put one on each of the plugs (did the top one too) and they seal much more positively.
    Works really well, for those who have not done it already.

Greg_Moss
    Better yet use OMC number 311598 they are flat nylon washer they seal much better than anything Merc has tried to pawn off on the public.

If you're going to use orings make sure they're Viton (flourocarbon) as the standard Buna variety you buy at most hardware or auto parts outlets will swell up with oil contact over a short time. Good bearing supply houses will have viton.
    I'm sure Gregs suggestion is an excellent one as well.

Beer-30
    Thanks guys. They are auto-grade, but did not say Viton. I will look for those.

LUVNLIFE
    Plus they are cheap enough to keep several handfuls on hand so you can use a new one everytime you change oil

Beer-30
    Plus they are cheap enough to keep several handfuls on hand so you can use a new one everytime you change oil
    You bet. $0.21/ea.

LUVNLIFE
    My God that's .42 cents a change :2purples: :rollside: :rollside:

Beer-30
    My God that's .42 cents a change :2purples: :rollside: :rollside:
    If only the lube was as cheap. $14/liter, and it pretty much takes 3. I figure the drive is worth it, though. Pay now or pay later.

Havasu47
    FYI Merc. used a special drain plug for a few years that was made specially for an o-ring seal. They had problems with the models where the drain plug is in bearing carrier in front of the prop. The propeller would pull gear lube past the o-ring from the propeller vacuum. They sent out a service bulletin years ago to replace all o-ring sealed drain plugs with the old gasket type. Just put new Merc gaskets on each time you change the lube and you will never have a problem. Do not use the rubber o-rings you got from the parts store. They will swell and there is no register fro them to stay in place.