Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost time to Winterize

Boozer
    Who does it themselves?
    Putting the boat on the water in 2 weeks and it's going to be the last trip of the season. The weather here is changing quick and from the looks of it it's going to be a long winter here.
    Local Service shop wants $350 to winterize my boat. It is to my understanding that all they do is drain the fluids and put some kind of gas into the cylinders. I'd rather keep the $350 in my pocket and do it myself.
    What do I need to do to make this thing survive the winter?
    Thanks in Advance.

superV
    Boozer:
    Who does it themselves?
    Putting the boat on the water in 2 weeks and it's going to be the last trip of the season. The weather here is changing quick and from the looks of it it's going to be a long winter here.
    Local Service shop wants $350 to winterize my boat. It is to my understanding that all they do is drain the fluids and put some kind of gas into the cylinders. I'd rather keep the $350 in my pocket and do it myself.
    What do I need to do to make this thing survive the winter?
    Thanks in Advance. Dam son you are Green! Preaty simple Pull the Cooling lines at the thermostat and drain your headers (pull the plug on bottom drain and replace plug) fill the motor with the RV Pink antifreez, fog the motor with oil or like me use Marvel Mistry oil pour it down the carb while running till you smoke out the niegborhood then shut it down, bag the carb and put some kind of stablizer in the gas tank. Your owners manual will also have a procedure since all boats are a bit different (i.e heat exchangers, closed cooling, oil coolers, water pump on bravo's ect.) Or you can do like me and buy a ele. blanket and a timer to put over the motor and run it till Nov.
    BTW it is forbiden to mention this topic at this time of year devil
    [ September 09, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: superV ]

superV
    One more thing drain your drive after you fog the motor and and bag it too!

superV
    O ya flip all seats up,WD40 anything that might rust, throw a few mouse traps in there (to keep any animals out) and a piece of closet cedar from home depot. just my .02

LeE ss13
    ooorrrr ......move back to SoCal and use the boat all year long !!!! I know, not a real popular idea lately ...

Boozer
    Thanks for the info Super. Looks like I'll be pissin off the nieghbors pretty soon with clouds of grey smoke.

RandyH
    You mean you dont pull the motor every year like most of us.
    RandyH

RandyH
    superV:
    O ya flip all seats up,WD40 anything that might rust, throw a few mouse traps in there (to keep any animals out) and a piece of closet cedar from home depot. just my .02 I heard a bucket of Charcol will suck up the moisture in the air. Anybody tried that ??
    RandyH
    [ September 09, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: RandyH ]

superV
    Boozer:
    Thanks for the info Super. Looks like I'll be pissin off the nieghbors pretty soon with clouds of grey smoke. Anytime
    [ September 09, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: superV ]

superV
    RandyH:
    superV:
    O ya flip all seats up,WD40 anything that might rust, throw a few mouse traps in there (to keep any animals out) and a piece of closet cedar from home depot. just my .02 I heard a bucket of Charcol will suck up the moisture in the air. Anybody tried that ??
    RandyH I forgot that part and yes it works! wink

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast