Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel question

Bradf
    Hey guys I got a question, where could I find a light weight flywheel replacement for a 455 Olds? Or is there a special name for them? Ive been googling all morning trying to find something and i cant get a thing! Im trying to lighten up my back end to get it up out of the water a little more.
    -Brad

Infomaniac
    Put a flex plate on it?

Bradf
    Ahh i just did a forum search for flywheel and got the answer... screwed up again, doh. Im a forum newbie.. sorry guys. Looks like the anwser is a Heavy Duty SFI Flexplate, correct?

Infomaniac
    Yep there you go. Does not have to be SFI to be heavy duty.
    I can get them for about $55.00 locally if you have problems finding one.

Bradf
    Now, to go about getting a Flexplate repalcement, i assume i should just count the teeth on my flywheel and get the flexplate w/ the same amount of teeth?

Moneypitt
    yep....That'll do it..........Make sure it's for an Olds......MP
    PS: You may need to pick up some shorter mounting and "H" bar bolts........

Bradf
    Whats the Difference between Internal and External Balancing on the Flexplates?

Moneypitt
    The BBC has 2 different flexplates, (well 4 if you want to count teeth), The BBCs are all internal balanced, EXCEPT the 454, which has additional counterweights on the flexplate and the balancer.........I don't think Olds had both, and I think the Olds is external, although I'm not sure. Did you find Olds flexplates and have these 2 options? If so, we'll have to get an Olds expert here to straighten this out..........MP

Bradf
    Ah, I think I can only find a 166T, External Balance. Is there an easy way to tell if its External/Internal by looking at the old flywheel thats on it now?

Moneypitt
    Is there an area around the outside edge that has an additional weight? This would be on the engine side, about 4 to 8" long, and only in one area. The harmonic balancer would also have a lop sided look to it, inside the outer ring on the back,(engine) side........I've got an Olds here in the garage, but it's kinda buried behind a bunch of Chevy stuff........Since no one else here has chimed in yet, let me suggest you go over to "real olds power" web site. I don't know how to link it up, but it wasn't hard to find......MP
    PS: you are talking about a 455, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast