Thread: 1980 20 Bahner Merc 260 prop recommendation?

Speed955
    Hi All,
    I just picked up a nice 1980 Bahner 20' day cruiser with a mercruiser 260. I have only owned jets in the past so I am new to the prop thing so I am looking for a good prop recommendation for this boat. We do some tubing knee boarding but I am mostly interested in top speed . Engine is bone stock for now.
    Thanks

DMOORE
    What prop is on the boat currently? Does the boat hit the rev limiter? Does it come on plane well? If the boat isn't hitting max RPM, going to a bigger prop may not improve performance. You may want to look into some of the Stainless 4 blades out there. They hook up well coming on step without blowing out, and do well on top end. If you are running a 3 blade now, you would run a slightly smaller 4 blade ( if your hitting redline) due to thier better efficiency. I changed from a 3 blade to a 4 on my direct drive ski boat. The boat pulls much harder getting on step, and didn't loose any top end. Just better overall. Go to the Mercury Marine website. They have a prop selector program that might help you out also.
    Darrell.

DMOORE
    BTW. Congrats.
    Darrell.

Speed955
    BTW. Congrats.
    Darrell.
    Thanks for the info. I will putting the boat through it's paces Saturday so I will have more info on where it's at as it sits.

watergun4u
    congrats on the new boat,,, my advise to you is, you are not used to having a prop boat, so i would not go to a stainless prop right a way, do the the fact if you hit something the alum will give before the stainless thus saving you money on possibliy breaking the gears or case,which would happen possibly if you have a stainless on.and as far as a prop for now, i would suggest 14 1/2 x 21 thats will give you ok out of the hole, but will perform good on top end!!!!!!!

Speed955
    congrats on the new boat,,, my advise to you is, you are not used to having a prop boat, so i would not go to a stainless prop right a way, do the the fact if you hit something the alum will give before the stainless thus saving you money on possibliy breaking the gears or case,which would happen possibly if you have a stainless on.and as far as a prop for now, i would suggest 14 1/2 x 21 thats will give you ok out of the hole, but will perform good on top end!!!!!!!
    watergun4u,
    that is an excellent suggestion. I have already forgot to put up the $@#%@ drive when I went to go pull it out last weekend. It just scraped the keel on the out drive, I got lucky the prop was turned just right and didn't hit. As for the prop recommendation, is that a 3 or 4 blade? sorry if that's a dumb question but hey I am learning

watergun4u
    that would be a 3 blade, ,,, never fear to ask questions, its cheaper in the long run!!!!

DMOORE
    If you are looking at gaining some speed, don't bother with an aluminum prop. Stainless is the only way to go. Aluminum props are cheap for a reason.
    Darrell.