Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of 496 ?'s

Mach 1 2350
    Right now i have a 1988 454 Mag in my boat and am looking to repower. The block has been raw cooled its whole life so i really cannot justify spending the cash on that block.
    One of my buddies got a injected 496 with a cracked piston that needs minimal machine work and i can get it for nothing. My 2 problems are it is a reverse rotation, which i have heard can be reversed easily but ive never delt with that, and secondly there is no computer for the engine.
    I was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a replacement computer or what i would really like to do is switch the entire engine to a carb setup. I was wondering if anyone had done a carb switch on one of these engines and if so what porblems they have encountered.
    Thanks for the help

Beer-30
    As far as I know, no one makes an 8.1L carb mani. If there is one, it is brand new and I haven't heard of or seen it yet. Meaning, it would probably be shown here before anywhere else.
    ASM has a stand-alone intake and ECM package for the 8.1L:
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...d_1914_6425680
    You would need the injectors and sensors from your other 496, but thats about it.
    http://www.azspeed.com/

SmokinLowriderSS
    What's different about the 496 from the 502? Sure plenty of manifolds for it. :cry:

Beer-30
    What's different about the 496 from the 502? Sure plenty of manifolds for it. :cry:
    Replicated ports, like the LS-1s. Tall/skinny ports. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Beer-30
    Raylar's site had good pics of the intake ports. Completely different from other Gens.
    http://www.raylarengine.com/cylinder_head.html

Coryj
    Forged internals. That's the biggest difference and if you are building hp that really counts!!

Beer-30
    Forged internals. That's the biggest difference and if you are building hp that really counts!!
    Yes, correct, but before that comes into play, the man was looking for intake/ECM options.

Coryj
    Yes, correct, but before that comes into play, the man was looking for intake/ECM options.
    With added HP comes added strain on all components. Doesn't matter where the HP comes from.

Beer-30
    With added HP comes added strain on all components. Doesn't matter where the HP comes from.
    Most of us already know that, new poster.
    I'll repeat - and maybe you can read the first post from this person - he mainly wants to know his options BEFORE he builds. Once he decides which motor to go with, he can get into asking about the internals if he has questions in that direction.
    Either way (Mk 4, 5, 6 or even 7) can be built forged.
    There's a "no threadjacking" rule for under 100 posts.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Dang! Tall and narrow is right! Definitely unlike anything else I was aware of, thx for the info Beer-30.
    Sure looks like a head swap of some sort would have to be done to locate a carb manifold for it. I sure couldn't find ANYTHING carbureted in manifolds for it looking hard last night. :cry:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast