Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How strong are the mounts

shootingstar72683
    Can I use the two motor supports to lift the rear of the hull off the trailer? The motor, and interior, carpets,& gastank are out. I want to get it off the trailer. How much weight am I fooling with? 79TaylorSJ 18' BerkleyJE?

Too vague.
    Pic please of mount and attachment.

shootingstar72683
    Too vague.
    Pic please of mount and attachment.
    I can't send pics yet, really don't know how to use this computer yet. It's the part of the support that bolts to the stringers each side the bildge. I guess I'm really asking if those stringers wont rip off the hull if I lift the hull there to get it off the trailer? Should I not even take the chance and lift it with a sort of sling, or does it matter?

My guess is you should be ok. You're not lifting the motor as part of the weight the stringers are subjected to if you tie onto it. Just the rest the stuff listed.
    If the stringers separate from that load (assuming these are FULL Length quality stringers and not little shortie engine mounting jobbies) I'm not sure I'd want to ride in the boat anyway.
    Having no knowledge of the boat or hardware you're working on it's a tough question to answer accurately.

Sorry misread your post, all that other stuff is out.
    You should be ok as long as these are full length quality stringers and whatever hardware you attach to is strong enough including the bolts and attaching hardware.

shootingstar72683
    My guess is you should be ok. You're not lifting the motor as part of the weight the stringers are subjected to if you tie onto it. Just the rest the stuff listed.
    If the stringers separate from that load (assuming these are FULL Length quality stringers and not little shortie engine mounting jobbies) I'm not sure I'd want to ride in the boat anyway.
    Having no knowledge of the boat or hardware you're working on it's a tough question to answer accurately.
    I hear what yer saying. I thought they should be stong enough but I've been wrong before. I know the pressure is useually downward with the motor, now I'm pulling upward. I was hoping to manhandle the hull to paint it. I don't know how many I need to do it. I've been told 4-6guys should be able to do it. 700-800lbs???

Ken F
    If you are just wanting to get it off the trailer for painting, why dont you just lay some old tires under it as you pull it off the trailer? Works well. Tie the pump or the back of the hull to something, and drag the trailer slowly out from under it, placing tires under the boat as it comes off. You can usually "borrow" some from a tire shop, and return them when you are done.
    I'd suggest a sling if you want to raise the rear of the boat. Why chance it?
    Turning it over, I would suggest having more than 6 guys. 8-10. They are bulky, and there's not much to get a good grip on.
    Ken F

sanger rat

shootingstar72683
    If you are just wanting to get it off the trailer for painting, why dont you just lay some old tires under it as you pull it off the trailer? Works well. Tie the pump or the back of the hull to something, and drag the trailer slowly out from under it, placing tires under the boat as it comes off. You can usually "borrow" some from a tire shop, and return them when you are done.
    I'd suggest a sling if you want to raise the rear of the boat. Why chance it?
    Turning it over, I would suggest having more than 6 guys. 8-10. They are bulky, and there's not much to get a good grip on.
    Ken F
    Doyou know how much it weights? How much does a jet unit weight?

shootingstar72683
    Boat lifting pics. http://jetboat.homestead.com/Kidsriding.html
    I sure enjoyed this help. Now I'm going to check a few more things before I begin to paint. The pump is the best thing to lift on from the rear. The rope from the drain-hole attaches to the motor-mount stringer where the mount is, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast