Thread: Any ideas?

reDECKulous
    My stereo keeps killing my number 2 battery. Any ideas on how to keep that bad boy charged? Is there something I am doing wrong with the stereo? Seems like the amps are draining the sh*t out of it. Even after driving around for half an hour with the stereo off it is still dead. Won't take a charge unless I hook up a charger to it.

Dub C
    what kind of switch is there between the batteries or is there none?? Some boats have a battery disconnected from the rest of the boats electrical system. My old boat with a 2 stroke and a only a 6amp stator was a good example, one battery for the boat and one for the stereo and it got charged only out of the water of for longer trips I had a harness that I could connect to the tow vehicle through the trailer harness to charge it.

reDECKulous
    Only switch I know of can turn the batteries off, both on, I on or II on. II runs the amps but when the boat is turned off and II is on by itself... battery is dead within minutes

OutCole'd
    Might want to have the battery tested. I know it's new, but if fully charged, no way should it be dead in minutes.

reDECKulous
    That is what I told Magic when I took it in... they said the battery was fine... should I be taking out the batteries and charging them during the week while the boat is at home?

phebus
    Your amp is drawing your battery down, and your alternator won't be able to keep up. The best thing to do would be to add more batteries (to extend your play time), and charge them whenever the boat is in storage with a good charger.

Dub C
    how many stereo amps?? a good idea is to get the fuse size for each amp to give you a rough idea of current draw. if it has a 30 amp fuse, at a high volumne you are likely drawing 12-17 amps but of course there are a ton of factors like impedance etc.. but the simple trick is to just charge the battery and use a load tester on it and this will test beginning voltage and it provides a load and how quick or if it recovers back to it's beginning voltage tells you the condition of the battery. Let me know, I'm not to far away in CL. I drive there since my son goes to elementary school there.

OutCole'd
    I use a battery tender and charge my batteries whenever the boat is parked. The alternator just does not put out enough to completely charge all the batteries while driving.