Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now Water is in Intake Port on #7

disco_charger
    Got the bolt situation fixed. Now I'm looking at water inside #7 intake port. Intake gaskets looked good. Block and heads were supposedly checked at the machine shop. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Beer-30
    Got the bolt situation fixed. Now I'm looking at water inside #7 intake port. Intake gaskets looked good. Block and heads were supposedly checked at the machine shop. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Are the heads ported? Maybe went a little thin along the intake runner and corrosion has opened a leak?
    I don't think they can magnaflux a port, so you would have to pressure check it - or the coolant passages of the head.

disco_charger
    No new porting.

centerhill condor
    no water anywhere else in the engine? I'd pressure test (20 psi, won't take much) the cooling side and go from there. You're not gonna like what you find..me thinks.

Beer-30
    No new porting.
    Not new porting, is there any OLD porting that has thinned the walls? There's always some corrosion/rust working it's way toward the other side from the cooling passages. Over time, this can cause pin-holes in thinner walls.

IMPATIENT 1
    if its a blown mill, pull the blower(not the intake!) and pressurerize the block with a water hose.if there's a crack or anything it'll spray like hell. if it a single plane intake you just pull the carb, pressureize and get a flashlite and look.i've seen water come outta a #7 plug hole becuase the #3 intake port was cracked, fill up the port and ran backwards into the intake and back to #7. just a thought!works for me though.

Beer-30
    Or, if dual plane or other tricky manifold, see if you can borrow a bore-scope camera to snake down the runner with the intake on.

skeepwerkzaz
    Did you have a big slug full of water and try to start it? If so, you may have hydro-locked the cylinder and cracked the block. Take out the #7 sparkplug, turn on the water and see if you have a free-flowing leak. Free-flowing leak equals a crack most of the time.

obnoxious001
    Ok,, one step a time, how did you figure it was in the intake port? You must have the intake off already? How did you seal the intake gaskets, and how did you determine that "Intake gakets looked good"? #7 is right next to the water passage, so it would be fairly easy to have a gasket leak.
    What else can you tell us? I didn't look at the water passages while you were here, but the heads didn't look like they have been abused.

disco_charger
    Used the good Fel Pro Gaskets, and sealed them up against the head with Black Rtv around the water passages. The intake was off and the gasket looked complete. I used the shop vac to get the water out of #7 and the water in the neighboring water jacket went down at the same rate as the water in the intake port.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast