Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum water cooled turbo manifolds

Unchained
    I'm trying to help a fellow gearhead figure out and compile his new turbo setup so I had an opportunity to compare a Gentry water cooled turbo manifold to the size turbo that I've been running and he will be running.
    He had the Gentry manifolds on hand already.
    I was amazed at how small the exit hole is in the Gentry manifold.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ryexhaust2.JPG
    The manifold exit hole is not much larger than one exhaust port.
    It's 3.35 sq. in. as compared to the Garrett turbine housing inlet that's 9.2 sq.in. not including the radius's / radii.
    It appears these will only work with a small turbo so they are going to be real limited in more way's than one.
    Is this as large as the exit hole gets in any brand of the aluminum water cooled turbo manifolds ?

05schiada
    Unchained,
    Thats is as big as they can go if you try porting them u get close to the water jacket. The picture you have is of a Race Aero manifold. The gentry one is alittle larger since it has the water passages to the exhaust housing pass through it. Carson Brummet has all of the Gentry castings and I've seen his motors make as much as 1600hp. Hope this helps.
    Steve

obnoxious001
    Those are indeed the Race Aero manifolds that were used with the Rajay 301 turbos, designed around the 454 cu in that was popular in the late 70's.

Infomaniac
    I've been wanting to try putting a turbo on a typical Gil Or Stainless Marine etc. type manifold.
    Why would'nt that work?

Unchained
    I've been wanting to try putting a turbo on a typical Gil Or Stainless Marine etc. type manifold.
    Why would'nt that work?
    I would think that would be a good way to go if someone wanted water jacketed and big tubes. That's what SD's setup looks like. They'd be real heavy though.

Jrocket
    Why would'nt that work?
    AS long as the top of the manifold doesnt have a water jacket that would let water into the turbo housing.There was a pic on here or OSO,where somebody did what you are asking about.I think it would work,but I doubt anything is going to compare to big tube cmi's for hp or looks.

Brian
    HeavyHitter's hemi runs EMI BBC manifolds with short adapter blocks to mate up to the turbos. It's a clean setup. A mill and a chunk of aluminum is a match made in heaven!
    :boxed:

I think these would be the cats a$$ for a turbo set-up, they are the same as the Big gun Gill manifolds, but in jacketed stainless.
    Sleek
    http://rexmar.com/images/page219.jpg

TurboNova
    Why would'nt that work?
    I think that would be a much better solution to what is pictured. Backpressure with the pictured manifolds must be very high.
    Why even use wet manifolds if you don't have to. The hot exhaust temp is what spools the turbo. Water jacketing the headers and turbo just makes it harder to make power.

Unchained
    I think that would be a much better solution to what is pictured. Backpressure with the pictured manifolds must be very high.
    Why even use wet manifolds if you don't have to. The hot exhaust temp is what spools the turbo. Water jacketing the headers and turbo just makes it harder to make power.
    That's what I thought too.
    When you're talking about turbo's there are so many different schools of thought about it. Some of them end up being "old school".
    I keep hearing about "Carson Brummett made 1600 hp with these small manifolds and small turbo's and there was only 20# back pressure"
    Also I've heard "Carson said there's only a 50 hp difference between water jacketed and dry headers"
    Something doesn't add up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast