Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much shoe?

FILUCKY
    17' Earl Smith, the shoe is 3/16" below the keel line and has a open pro loader. this boat will not air out, breaks water about front of motor at best and adjusting the ride plate and nozzle angle don't realy help. I'm wondering can the shoe and loader grab too much water and force the boat down? Any ideas how to air it out?
    Thanks, Dallas

poncho-pwr
    I am not an expert but I would certainly think it would be possible for the deep shoe and aggressive loader to cause that problem. Maybe somebody ran it that way with a lot of power or something and needed more water, hence the deep shoe. I sure would think that boat would be scary if it shut off at high speed with that much shoe.

Vern S
    17' Earl Smith, the shoe is 3/16" below the keel line and has a open pro loader. this boat will not air out, breaks water about front of motor at best and adjusting the ride plate and nozzle angle don't realy help. I'm wondering can the shoe and loader grab too much water and force the boat down? Any ideas how to air it out?
    Thanks, Dallas
    What shoe, tapered, backcut, flat? Do you know the intake pressure?
    What's the top speed, and how does it act on rapid shutdown?

Unchained
    How much pressure do you get on an intake pressure gauge?
    Adjust the shoe until you get 30 - 40 #
    When my Cheyenne had the shoe too deep the back of the boat would hop even under accelleration.

UBFJ #454
    How much Hp are you running?

Old Guy
    While you're under there, you might want to check the bottom for hook.

FILUCKY
    I would say the shoe has a 1*BC too it. Yes it will throw ya out if any sudden loss of power. Not sure of top speed as i don't feel good about the setup, but the boat is a 275# layup with over 900Hp so i feel safe to say well over a 100. No hook either. I bought this boat less motor already setup and this is a strange deal to me when adjusting the ride plate and nozzle angle won't lift the front or help to air out the boat.

Gearhead
    If the keel in the boat is not braced well, you may need to do so. On a 275 lb layup and 900 hp, you may be experiencing keel flex. If the keel is flexing, all the time you take to set the hardware (plate angle, shoe angle, etc.) just went out the window. That is one of the reasons we sometimes see heavier layups outperform lighter hulls. At lower HP the hull flex may not show up as bad. If this happens to be the case the keel can be reinforced and braced to prevent flex.
    You may try a little less shoe and check to see how far the loader blades protrude below the keel. If they both are deep, it would be interesting to shallow them up a little to see if that helps. The deeper hardware also puts more pressure on the keel. (which could cause flex)

Vern S
    3/16 seems a bit low to me, but every boat is different. If it wants to throw you over the wheel on shutdown I would guess it may be too low. An intake pressure gauge is a great tuning tool. Take unchained's advice and install a gauge and shoot for 30-40 psi as he recommends. Also look at the loader ramps in relation to the bottom, like gearhead stated.

FILUCKY
    Thanks guys, i'm going to tap the pump and add a pressure gauge and see what i get, does blocking off the center grate help with lift?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast