Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please!

novaz
    Have not run my motor for a couple months ,but turned it over to oil the cylinders, today went to fire it and its backfiring through the carb and the blow off plate :cry: ,getting good fuel pressure 7# also would not idle was running fine before last use, spark on all cylinders clean filters distrib is locked in, I can keep it running on huge throttle action but then it just dies checked the floats just in case but all ok there .
    any ideas :220v:
    engine is a 350 sbc performer rpm with 6-71 stage 2 in a 72 Nova
    Thanks
    Royz

Sounds like someone might have moved the timing.

502 JET
    If the timing is ok and it still wont run pull off carb bowls namd make sure it is clean in there.If you dont have reusable bowl and metering block gaskets now would be a good time to get them.Also some nylon bowl screw gaskets.
    When carbs dry out you can end up with wite crusty deposits left behind.They will plug up the metering block passages causing all sorts of problems.Spray carb cleaner through all the metering block holes blowout with air and reinstall.Recheck float levels and run it again.

DMOORE
    I've noticed that the newer blend of fuels are really bad at gumming up carbs that are left to dry out. Happened a few times to different bikes I've owned. Idle circut gets plugged, and will only run with big handfulls of throttle. Lots of popping and backfiring. Next time if it is going to sit, try some fuel stabelizer. Save ya a lot of headaches.
    Darrell.

TIMINATOR
    Remove the idle mixture screws (count the turns out first) then spray brake cleaner down the airbleeds, and thru the idle screw holes, and then blow compressed air in all of them, repeat as required. You may need to take a wire off of a wire brush to open the idle air bleeds, they are only about .020 or so. This has allways worked for us. Don't forget to do the airbleeds on the secondaries too. Holleys idle off of all 4 barrels, even if the rears don't have mixture screws. TIMINATOR

novaz
    Thanks guys I am going to get the carb off clean and double check the timing this weekend.

novaz
    I cleaned the carb out really did not have any gunk in it ,took both filters off no problem there, flowed all the old fuel out of the line and put fresh in ,checked the timing with the engine off as i cant keep it running steady long enough seems to be good ,one thing I notice with the coil disconected it turns quick for a bit and then slow as though the battery is low but its a new optima and i had it charging before trying again.
    its sparking on all 8 and fuel is getting into the float bowls so now I am kinda stuck as to what to try
    I also followed BDS on their site where they say turn over with no throttle till it catches and gets heat in the motor but no change HELP :cry: :cry: :cry:

wideopen545
    if your running a msd unit pull the chip and clean it
    then reinstall the chip
    we had this happen to us and it took all summer to find it

Hostile
    check the plug wires for cross over
    then look at dist.for moisture
    Skeeter

novaz
    replaced the chip ,replaced the coil and wires
    I am thinking I need to take the blower apart and check intake to blower surface
    how much leeway is there on the blow off plate last night i adjusted it tighter and it did turn over a bit easier before back firing.
    Thanks for your help guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast