Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro Topline Cylinder Heads

WATERFOUL
    OK you guys are scaring me now, I just bought them! The casting quality looks to be much better than my old Winters foundry castings and will line up fine with minimal port matching work. The motor is still a few weekends away from being installed but you guys will be the second to know when it lites off, the neighborhood will be first! Thanks again, Mike

fc-pilot
    Mike, nothing to worry about. Somebody is selling an aluminum head on eBay that is similar to the pro-topline's. Their intake port is a little small on the floor where it meets the head. You had to open up the bottom of the port to make it match. The REAL pro-toplines do not have this problem as you have found out. Wannaberacing and I have a set on a motor right now and really like them. I have a feeling you will too.
    Paul

Liberator TJ1984
    Mike, nothing to worry about. Somebody is selling an aluminum head on eBay that is similar to the pro-topline's. Their intake port is a little small on the floor where it meets the head. You had to open up the bottom of the port to make it match. The REAL pro-toplines do not have this problem as you have found out. Wannaberacing and I have a set on a motor right now and really like them. I have a feeling you will too.
    Paul
    $ 1180 for a ready to run set sounds way fishy to me !!! :idea:
    mine were close to 2k with solid roller and sev.duty.parts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-B...7QQihZ016QQite mZ260035627451QQrdZ1

502 JET
    $ 1180 for a ready to run set sounds way fishy to me !!! :idea:
    mine were close to 2k with solid roller and sev.duty.parts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-B...7QQihZ016QQite mZ260035627451QQrdZ1
    Must be cheap imported parts for that price.

78Eliminator
    They are great heads, especially for the money. Didn't take a whole lot to clean up. If you get them, remember to get some longer head studs while you are making your order. You can see from the picture that the holes extend higher up around all the exhaust ports (except one on the end) than say, a 990 chevrolet head:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/455b.JPG

cfm
    Must be cheap imported parts for that price.
    Company is called Pro-Comp.
    They advertise as being from Australia, but they are not. They are made in China.
    Right away, they are lying, so forget it. Oh, if it didn't ring a bell, there name is kind of misleading too. 'Pro' like Pro Action and 'Comp' like Competition cams who bought Pro Action / Topline. But Pro-Comp are nobodies just imitating and making the crap out of China.
    BTW: I believe Liberty and some other distributors are selling them as 'house brands.'
    If someone buys these , has no issues, please don't go telling everyone how awesome they are. We need 100's or thousands of reports to find if good or not, however, I can tell you that some mistakes are being found already. Remember the SBC Australia, actualy Chinese, heads out there ? If you didn't measure things then you did not realize how bad they are.

78Eliminator
    CFM, that is incorrect information. RHS bought Pro Topline.
    http://www.racingheadservice.com/

fc-pilot
    Well you both are right. RHS did buy Pro-Action, but Comp Cams owns RHS. (I think it is Comp Cams, either them Or Crane Cams, I always get the two mixed up). As for the messed up heads, I am not sure who puts their name on them. I have seen two sets that had intake port problems. I have run three sets of Pro-Action heads and have not had problems with any of them. We did measure and check them out. Everybody makes mistakes though. I bought a brand new set of dart heads and they were machined wrong. No mater what pushrod length or different length of valve we tried (which was quite a few) we could not stop the tip of the rocker from coming off the tip of the valve and onto the retainer. The real problem as I saw it was this, when I called dart to figure out how they would correct the problem they told me that it was not a problem and that all their pro stock engines did exactly that. Needless to say we threw those heads away and got a set of Brodix. So just because someone has done something well a number of times, it does not mean that they will always be right.
    I am not looking for a fight, I am just trying to state the facts. 78Eliminator brought up a good point, the longer head bolts are something to be aware of.
    Paul

cfm
    No fight - quite the contrair (sp?)
    CompCams (Scotter Bros) owns RHS. I've heard very good things from experts (big names) in the industry about there stuff.
    Just letting everyone know about this 'ProComp' company and the influx of other companies that are doing this industry wrong. Way wrong.
    R&D is something that we can not do without. Ray Franks (Profiler) , Tony Mamo (AFR), Darrin Morgan (Reher Morrison), Carl Foltz (CFE + BMF), Vic Edelbrock (Edelbrock), Scooter Bros (RHS + Comp), etc,etc,etc,etc spend countless amty's of money and time to bring us new technology at a very fast rate. They deserve to get paid for it !!!! We deserve to get this cutting technology by paying for it.
    I'm not willing to pay $$$ to some small outfit in the States that sit behind a desk, make some flights to China land, and make money transactions. Were's their R&D ?
    Want to ship your stuff to them to do some fixes or updates ? Want to call them and get custom stuff done ? Want to call them to get valvetrain to your spec put in ? Yeh, right.
    So, if it sounds like I'm upset, I am. Not at anyone in particular, thus why no fight here. I'm upset by the amt of people that don't think beyond the $$$ and the short term gains.
    Oh, while on the topic. Professional Products is one of these 'USA men behind the desk' and Chinamen making the stuff. Yes, they have become better and actually designed something of there own not to long ago. But..........they still have a bunch of junk - just not all of it. My 02.
    All this is just a heads up. More data and more knowledge gives us the tools to make better decisions.

502 JET
    They are great heads, especially for the money. Didn't take a whole lot to clean up. If you get them, remember to get some longer head studs while you are making your order. You can see from the picture that the holes extend higher up around all the exhaust ports (except one on the end) than say, a 990 chevrolet head:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/455b.JPG
    There is a name cast into the head above the number 8 exhaust port.I cant make it out but looks like the same thing from the RHS site.
    These ebay heads are not the same heads http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/fe/e8/5d_12.JPGThey have no name cast into them.(Someone is not very proud of their work)
    Hence the cheap imported.....
    Just dont think those ebay heads are the real deal for half the price.I bet they would take a lot more than just cleaning up to make them work.
    http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/d5/d8/5e_11.JPG
    I wonder if this store actually exsists.Anybody ever seen it?
    (Referring to the imported speed parts)Those chianese engine parts favored by BACK YARD ENGINE BUILDERS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast